Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu Specialty Services

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

Hello,

I currently am receiving 100% for IU. Does this qualify me for dental services?

I spoke with someone at the VA the other day, and she said that since it was a temporary rating, I was not eligable for dental care. I used to have no problem getting dental work done at my previous facility, but now, they are saying I don't qualify for it. Are they correct?

My IU is based on PTSD.

Thanks to all those who have served and those currently serving

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Unless you have an re-evaluation date, then even at a 100% temporary rating don't qualify for dental benefits.

I Don't understand how you were getting dental care before? unless you meant it was from a private Dentist?

Only SC 100% or a TDIU rating at permanent total rating TDIU P&T Disabled Veterans Qualify for VA Dental.

However if you have your DD-214 And if it don't state on it that you had dental prior to your discharge if they never checked your teeth at discharge

Then I think you can use the VA Dental.

...............Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Unless you have an re-evaluation date, then even at a 100% temporary rating don't qualify for dental benefits.

I Don't understand how you were getting dental care before? unless you meant it was from a private Dentist?

Only SC 100% or a TDIU rating at permanent total rating TDIU P&T Disabled Veterans Qualify for VA Dental.

However if you have your DD-214 And if it don't state on it that you had dental prior to your discharge if they never checked your teeth at discharge

Then I think you can use the VA Dental.

...............Buck

The dental work was being done at a VA Outpatient clinic, and I never had a problem getting scheduled. I have a re-evaluation date of June, 2020.

Do you have a re-evaluation date? I think you would fall under Class IV.

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/IB10-442_dental_benefits_for_veterans_2_14.pdf

That's exactly what I thought I would fall under, but they tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks to all those who have served and those currently serving

I am 100% Temporary and I have been receiving VA dental work since I was 80% VA. Believe me I have had thousands of dollars worth of work at the VA Dental, only department that has been good to me since the day I was Retired.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

They are using the fact that you have a re-evaluation date against you.

Veterans paid at the 100% rate based on a temporary rating, such as extended hospitalization for a service-connected disability, convalescence or pre-stabilization are not eligible for comprehensive outpatient dental services based on this temporary rating

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello,

I currently am receiving 100% for IU. Does this qualify me for dental services?

I spoke with someone at the VA the other day, and she said that since it was a temporary rating, I was not eligable for dental care. I used to have no problem getting dental work done at my previous facility, but now, they are saying I don't qualify for it. Are they correct?

My IU is based on PTSD.

MarineLCpl - you should be eligible, as you stated you were being treated, by the VA, before you became TDIU. I would contact "Fee Bases" about getting dental services. I would also put in a claim requesting that you be made P&T. If Fee Bases won't approve you, then I'd contact the "Choice Card" people. jmo

pr