• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Does This Mean? Ptsd?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to VAMC today at MH,

seen my Dr...She ask me if I wantd to see a therapist? to possible get better..I said Idon't know but yeah I'd like to get better, she told me to think about it and in the mean time she wants me to see a social worker someone to talk to about things? to maybe help me cope?

I also went & talked to my social worker today and he said I should file a claim to get SC???

heres what I found out via my records today

I went down and got my records.

Anyone know what theses Numbers/Letters mean?

DSM IV PTSD Criteria B is met

DSM IV PTSD Criteria C is met

DSM IV PTSD Criteria D IS met

This is all new to me I understand what the DSM means but not the criteria? B.C.D? Where's A?

Also what is this?

PHQ 9-17 Moderate Severe Depression?

IS THIS FOR RATING PURPOSES OR THE DEGREE OF THE DISABILITY? OR THE SYMTOMS?

BAI-34

PCLM TOTAL 61 ??? <WHATS THAT?/

If this is enough to file for SC?

I Know I will have to prove this is from the military & I can with my service records , also my records indicated a Dr Diagnosed me with Server Depression back in 1999 from my old Bif Spring Tx VAMC Doc...which I never knew about?

the kicker here is the depression was diagnosed before I filed the claim for TDIU THIS WAS IN 2002 nothing was mention in the TDIU claim about the Depression at the Big Spring VAMC?

I Just never thought about filing a SC claim for this because I am RATED 90%Combined and extra scheduler pushed me up to being paid at the 100% rate TDIU P&T since 2002

BUT if I die from it and its SC Then my spouse can file DIC?

I discussed this with my social worker. HE BASICALLY SAID ITS UP TO ME.

Any suggestions? from anybody??

Much Thanks

................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Also it often pays for Vietnam vets to fill out and send in a DD 149 to the proper address on the back of the form:

Use the link there from me in the pdf..the other one isnt working I dont think.

I think many Vietnam vets ( particularly those in the CAPS program- (shoot em up, fix em up in USMC lingo)
could be eligible for the Presidential Unit Citation, that my husband found our his unit was awarded, decades after he served in Vietnam.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms berta

a little history, I knew something was wrong with me when I got back from nam, I just kept it to myself I was having problems sleeping waking up with night mares sweats and always on guard or I look at most people trying to do something to me I litterlly thought I was going crazy back then I never thought about getting help especially from the US Government I guess my pride was in the way so I never said anything to anyone for years.

Then I started losing my hearing around 1988/89 and I had emergency appendex surgey at Big Spring Tx VAMC, & After the surgery I was given a Hearing test refered to the hospital's Audologist Dept from the Dr's,

Test showed I had a loss of hearing but not enough to grant an % in compenstation, so I got it S.C. at 0 % then around 2000 had another hearing test and show a lot of loss of hearing compared to the older test in BigSprings I was SC 50% At that time.

as I had to stop working having so many problems not being able to hear even with two good hearing aids the VA made for me, anyway I was awarded TDIU P&T for my bad hearing and could not do the work I was trained to do and because of my hearing disability VOC-Rehab wrote a letter stating it was not feasible to retrain this veteran , tht was part of my evidence in getting the TDIU P&T.

from 1995 until I was given a 50%rating I mowed yards to make ends meet as the wife wasa hair dresser and didn't make all that much either now days they make a killing eh!

As for as MH they got involved because my wife was with me at one of my regular VA 6 month check up's and she told my VA-PCP all about my mood swings how I was a loner and never like being around crowds and having night mares and sweets and screams in the night, NEVER PARTICIPATING IN FAMILY EVENTS that I had been doing all this for years and I would stop breathing /while snoring....

all the things I should have come forward for in the past was reveled that day and my Dr requested me see MH and after a few physiatrist's seem me this was what was in my medical record the other day.

The only reason I may think about filing a claim is that if I die from this my spouse can get DIC...And I don't much think loss off hearing S.C. OR not will be the cause of my death....And of course we could use the extra$$

so I am thinking it could have what caused me to get so down and depressed and use that as secondary to my SC Hearing loss?

I have no problems proving stressors or anything like that although as TexasMarine mention its been 40 some odd yeas ago, but it will be in my records as for as proving anything, now rather or not the VA will give me a rating for it is anyone's guess? but it can be SC....I am not sure what Mild to Severe Depression would be rated at? or the PTSD? I Don't know if I meet the criteria for the ratings?

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms berta,

I believe they used the DSM 5!

.......Buck

Once you file the claim and get a C & P exam ,it will be easier to determine what rating they should give to you.

That is if you have the C & P exam done at a VAMC....Their Records access officer might have a brief form for you to file out to get a copy of the exam results.

If you get TDIU solely for the hearing loss, and if it is P & T, then, if that rating has been in continuous affect for ten years or more, your wife should get DIC

it sounds like you might have sleep apnea as well...best to get that looked into......

I think possibly someone ,the 'social worker' ?, meant by
"he just said even tho Iam getting paid at the 100% rate that there's SMC's "

He meant that 100% for one SC plus 60 % or more for an independent different SC equals SMC at the S rate.

Also it seems you might be considered housebound by virtue of the HL as well as the PTSD That too is a basis for SMC S.

They only award one SMC "S" award however.

"so I am thinking it could have what caused me to get so down and depressed and use that as secondary to my SC Hearing loss?"

I dont think that is the way to go.

It is easier, in my opinion ,for a Vietnam vet to prove stressors and/or fear of hostile activity if they tell the C & P examiner that they experienced this type of fear in Vietnam (and their MOS ,time and place etc , supports that) than to try to prove PTSD as secondary to a non MH issue.

It certainly can be done but a lot more work and would need an IMO which could be very costly.

• HadIt.com Elder

If I do get SC For PTDS Due to severe Depression, do I keep my TDIU P&T?

AND if awarded 100% for PTSD100% & ask for SMC's. would that be added to my check I get now or a separate check sent? we have it auto electrically filed in the Bank each month.

or what happens if the PTSD Is rated at 30/40/50 60 70%? Although I know I could appeal...but just say this is what happens?

I get caught up in helping other veterans & a lot of this I just forget for my own self.

And yes I've had the TDIU P&T for my hearing loss for almost 14 continiued straight years

MH Dr put in for a sleep study, I told her what my spouse told my PCP Doc and she said she would follow up on a test for me to take a sleep study test. this was last month so I should know more this week hopefully I'll get my notice in the mail here in a few days?

.......................Buck

Edited by Buck52

The VA will pay only one 100% or one TDIU but will add ,to the comp ,any SMC they grant.

They dont grant PTSD at 60 % but at 70 % or 100% they will award the SMC S award, in your case.

Maybe this will help some Vietnam vets here.....

The 2010 PTSD regs will, in some cases help them.

The only real problem with those regs is the PTSD DX MUST come from the VA.

This Vietnam vet has been denied PTSD SC in the past.

"In a final rating decision issued in November 2005, the RO
denied a claim to reopen a claim of entitlement to service
connection for PTSD finding no diagnosis linked to a verified in-
service stressor."

By time of this decision the 2010 PTSD criteria had changed but came into play for this veteran.

4. Evidence added to the record since the prior final denial in
November 2005 is neither cumulative nor redundant of the evidence
of record at that time, and raises a reasonable possibility of
substantiating the claim for service connection for PTSD.

5. The Veteran's claimed in-service stressors involve the fear
of hostile activity, to include mortar attacks, in Vietnam and
are consistent with the time, place and circumstance of his
service.

6. The Veteran's PTSD has been diagnosed by a VA psychologist
and related to his claimed in-service combat exposure.

"ORDER

New and material evidence not having been received, the claim to
reopen a claim of entitlement to service connection a right knee
disorder is denied.

New and material evidence not having been received, the claim to
reopen a claim of entitlement to service connection for PTSD is
granted.

Service connection for PTSD is granted."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp10/Files4/1037143.txt

There are other non PTSD issues on remand.

This BVA case gives another example of how a Vietnam veteran can fall under the new 2010 regulations ,even if their stressors cannot be verified.

His MOS and where he was , was consistent with fear of hostile activity.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp11/Files5/1143726.txt