• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Does This Mean? Ptsd?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to VAMC today at MH,

seen my Dr...She ask me if I wantd to see a therapist? to possible get better..I said Idon't know but yeah I'd like to get better, she told me to think about it and in the mean time she wants me to see a social worker someone to talk to about things? to maybe help me cope?

I also went & talked to my social worker today and he said I should file a claim to get SC???

heres what I found out via my records today

I went down and got my records.

Anyone know what theses Numbers/Letters mean?

DSM IV PTSD Criteria B is met

DSM IV PTSD Criteria C is met

DSM IV PTSD Criteria D IS met

This is all new to me I understand what the DSM means but not the criteria? B.C.D? Where's A?

Also what is this?

PHQ 9-17 Moderate Severe Depression?

IS THIS FOR RATING PURPOSES OR THE DEGREE OF THE DISABILITY? OR THE SYMTOMS?

BAI-34

PCLM TOTAL 61 ??? <WHATS THAT?/

If this is enough to file for SC?

I Know I will have to prove this is from the military & I can with my service records , also my records indicated a Dr Diagnosed me with Server Depression back in 1999 from my old Bif Spring Tx VAMC Doc...which I never knew about?

the kicker here is the depression was diagnosed before I filed the claim for TDIU THIS WAS IN 2002 nothing was mention in the TDIU claim about the Depression at the Big Spring VAMC?

I Just never thought about filing a SC claim for this because I am RATED 90%Combined and extra scheduler pushed me up to being paid at the 100% rate TDIU P&T since 2002

BUT if I die from it and its SC Then my spouse can file DIC?

I discussed this with my social worker. HE BASICALLY SAID ITS UP TO ME.

Any suggestions? from anybody??

Much Thanks

................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Trying to prove SC for MH this long post-service will be tough without some entry in your service records, although not impossible. VA is going to say that many of life's twists and turns could have manifested in PTSD (an accident or other trauma), or Depression (severe or otherwise). PTSD left untreated for so long could lead to BiPolar Disorder. Either way, you are pursuing a MH condition (unspecified), because you are not a doctor.

So, like much of the advice here on Hadit.com, get a certifiable DX.

Then, get some help, for now. The money can follow later. I've found that VA MH care is superb, at least in the VAMCs I've attended (LV, Houston, Tulsa, Wichita).

Later, as in much later. MH, while not hard to prove, is very hard to service connect after time. I know. I filed for MH condition 14 years after discharge, and I'm still fighting for it 11 years later. In your case, what, 40+ years?

PTSD stessors in 'Nam, could be ruled out by now. I think you need to go for some MH DX other than PTSD.

jmho(s)

TexasMarine

• HadIt.com Elder

well I'm thinking the mild to severe depression could have manifested because of my SC Hearing loss and be secondary to my Hearing loss,...I can't do the things I use to and not hearing people in a regular conversation takes its toll through out the years and I believe its taken its toll on me.

The VA is saying I have both they have diagnosed me with PTSD & Mild to Server Depression but can't file on both?

So if I decide to file a claim I don't know which one?

Well, if it's secondary to your hearing loss, I'd go with the "mild to serious depression". Pretty hard to prove that PTSD was caused by hearing loss. Hearing loss, in and by itself, is not "traumatic". While I could very easily see the link between depression and hearing loss.

The essential feature of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder is the development of characteristic symptoms following exposure to an extreme traumatic stressor involving direct personal experience of an event that involves actual or threatened death or serious injury, or other threat to one's physical integrity; or witnessing an event that involves death, injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of another person; or learning about unexpected or violent death, serious harm, or threat of death or injury experienced by a family member or other close associate (Criterion A1).

The person's response to the event must involve intense fear, helplessness, or horror (or in children, the response must involve disorganized or agitated behavior) (Criterion A2).

The characteristic symptoms resulting from the exposure to the extreme trauma include persistent reexperiencing of the traumatic event (Criterion B),

persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma and numbing of general responsiveness (Criterion C),

and persistent symptoms of increased arousal (Criterion D).

The full symptom picture must be present for more than 1 month (Criterion E),

and the disturbance must cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning (Criterion F).

http://www.mental-health-today.com/ptsd/dsm.htm

Edited by TexasMarine

I am with Philip on that.......

File for PTSD.

To try to answer some other questions you had:

They might have been using an ollder version of DSM as it now contains a fifith criteria.

(gee I just edited this because Texas Marine found there if a 6th criteria too)

This is the updated criteria:I found:
http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/PTSD-overview/diagnostic_criteria_dsm-5.asp

PCLM is a basic test explained here:
https://fitbir.nih.gov/portal/publicData/dataElementAction!view.action?dataElementName=PCLMTotalScore&publicArea=true

It can determine diagnosis for PTSD and you fall into that range but I am confused that the PHQ 9-17 says "Moderate Severe Depression"

as this is a test for depression which may or may mnot be related to PTSD.

The BAI is the Beck Anxiety Inventory

"The BAI has a maximum score of 63.

0-7: minimal level of anxiety
8-15: mild anxiety
16-25: moderate anxiety
26-63: severe anxiety"

Obviously this test results indicate PTSD and depression surely due to the PTSD.

Va will only rate and award one MH SC.

"The VA is saying I have both they have diagnosed me with PTSD & Mild to Server Depression but can't file on both?

So if I decide to file a claim I don't know which one?"

You can file for PTSD with depression. That seems to be the diagnosis you are getting.

It is best to list the most easiest stressor (s) first , that the VA can verify.

It only takes one stressor verification even if it is not the one you feel is the worst one.

And if they cannot verify your stressor, they should apply the "fear of hostile activity" (and close proximity to same)

as found within the 2010 PTSD criteria here at hadit .

Edited by Berta