Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Overwhelmed

Rate this question

help7777

Question

As I posted before, waiting on an appeal for r&l knee SC to flat feet & back increase. Have various new claims, now in preparation for decision about 3wks, RO is St. Pete. Contact Hickey she cc director got a call saying my new claim should be the decision stage for 30dys, but she has to contact someone concerning my appeal from 2011. Well, dealing with anxiety with IBS isn't good. Praying for a decision to be in my favor & money in the account asap. My daughter start school in August kindergarten, but my anxiety is the fact, rent, lights, school supplies & school uniform is needed. Bank account negative, can't get no more financial assistance just been seeking help. I ask for those here who have successfully finished their claim, please pray for us in the financial issues as myself & the favor to receive our due benefits in a timely manner & hope to be able to endure until the end. Thanks for the many who write there success story it gives me hope & encouragement to hold on another day. Thank you, God bless you all.

Saved by grace 

"just hang in there, you can call IRIS and ask them to expedite your claim for hardship reason and let them know what you mention here, (rent electric due and your & your bank account negative with a child)

you must not be able to work?"

Not to be negative, but I just want to relate the reality of this process from my current experience: I have 4 children, my youngest is 6 and my oldest is 20 and in college. My bankruptcy finalized yesterday. A year ago, my credit was in the high 700's. I requested a Hardship December 17th, 2014. It was not even addressed until mid to late May, 2015. Since April when I did my DBQ's, there has been no changes to my claim. Every time I have called "Peggy" s/he seems confused more than anything and I have sent in two IRIS's without ever receiving a response. I do not even have a running vehicle at this point and, after a long fight with family, I was beginning to make appointments with doctors again and receive referrals, which I am now realizing I cannot go to. I guess I do not qualify for assistance from veteran orgs bc I receive $1100-1200 a month net as a retiree. Maybe that makes sense if I was single and 25, but with disabilities, a wife and 4 kids...? I also do not have a rating yet, which does not allow me access to many services and charitable organizations, tax relief, State benefits, etc., etc.

I am effectively housebound by my PTSD, without consideration for the physical issues which prompted me to drop my papers and retire. The Hardship has seemed to have absolutely no bearing on the VA process. The "target timeline" for once you become homeless is an ADDITIONAL 60 days! That's not a deadline, that is just the timeline they TRY to make. Just last night, I tried to talk to my wife about the 1152 process and DIC and she said that would be the last thing she would be worried about if I died, and I am sure that is what they bank on, after all I have read here and elsewhere. This is not a user-friendly system, it is more like being lit on fire and hoping someone pisses on you to put it out.

I would recommend that you apply for Hardship, but think of it as buying a lottery ticket (I just realized I never have, not once, lol); you may be more likely to "get hit by lightning than win". Each VARO is different, each Rater is different, but there is no repercussions for mismanagement or mistakes within the Organization. If there is a "magic, golden ticket" (a la Willy Wonka) to getting in and getting results, I have not found it. I was sure I would not be sitting here still waiting almost a year later, 14 months after my last duty day, with all my issues tracked in my SMR's with no other records needing to be collected after 20 years. They tried to MEB me 3-4x in my last 7 years, as well as multiple DAWG's and Command-level Waivers to continue my Service, it shouldn't be hard to resolve; I was sure that the issues with the VA were most likely exaggerated.

For what it's worth, there are thousands, or more, cases like yours or mine out there. As insane as it sounds, they are more likely to be the standard than unique. The only real advantage to that is that you are not alone and others understand and are dealing with the same issues you are. My wife bought school supplies yesterday. I don't know how and I and I didn't ask; we do what we need to do to get by. She just recently left a job she liked after 3 years to go to a competitor for less than $1 an hour more in pay. We do what we have to and try and survive. We shouldn't have to, but what other choice is there? If you need support, whether that be advice with the process or emotional, this is a good place to get it anonymously. I wish I could offer more than that and I know many, many here feel the same way and would give you the shirt off of their back if they could. But, the process is broken.

The only way to fix that is by being an Advocate and continuing to advocate once your issues are resolved. Tell anyone and everyone who will listen. PAY ATTENTION to the political landscape! See which one of those weasels on the Hill keep their promises and which ones don't and VOTE against them the next time! Not just Presidential Elections, but your local Reps. Affect a change at the levels you are able to effect and rebuild from the bottom up! Don't let them sit up there on the Hill for 50 years pandering to Special Interest Groups like the Drug Companies, HMO's, etc. Make sure your friends and families do the same. This will not go away overnight, and it will never be a priority for any politician or person(s) with the ability to take them to account until you / I / we make it a priority for them fix it.

Hang in there you're not alone. As a quick fix if in need are you a VFW member? Can join for 1 year as a member at large. They have some assistance programs that might be beneficial for you also. Just my 2 cents.

One day at a time. And one bite at a time of the big VA claim elephant.

I don't know how we all do it, but by the grace of God we stand. My heart breaks to hear the pain that each of you have endured through receiving what is entitled to you. May the blessings of the Lord be with each of you. It's a few versess in the bible I have been thinking on, "hope deferred makes the heart sick, but the answer is a tree of life, also trust in the Lord with all thine heart lean not to your own understanding in all of your ways acknowledge him & he shall make your path straight." This journey is not for the faint in heart, but for those who will endure to the end. As we all go through this process we are each other battle buddy, when you need strength you can lean on the other. When one is too wounded we help dress the wound & keep on the mission. Thanks for being my battle buddy family of hadit....God bless

Saved by grace