Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Decision In 3 Days On A Rexamination

Rate this topic

parforever

I sure hope what you saw at ebenefits does actually indicate a P & T award has been made.

P & T status extends Chapter 35 as well as CHAMPVA.

I have both of them and due to my 2012 award, I have a new eligibility date for Chap 35 and might use it again.

It is also retroactive in some cases to your dependents.

The DEA app will come with the award letter. CHAMPVA can be applied for on line.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

"Retroactive" Chapter 35 is "iffy". Pretty much, at least in my case, "they dont want to award retro Ch. 35".

When I got P and T, My son applied for Ch. 35. He was sent a letter from VA that asked if he wanted Ch. 35 retro to (the date I became 100% P and T), or if he wanted it started now.

He sent the letter back and stated he wanted the retro. Guess what. A miracle. VA lost his letter and started it "now", instead. I never cease to be amazed at VA's ability to lose our evidence when its it their best interest to do so. I just wish I could get out of paying my bills because "I lost the bill", like VA does. My son went to his college VA counseler, who promptly sent a copy of his letter, which was sent electronically and via us mail.

Miracle of miracles. Nothing ever happened. Va did not respond, even when we confronted them with proof. I am not sure he has any appeal rights..after all he is not a veteran.

It finally worked itself out. He did use his ch. 35, but, if I recall its only 36 months. Someone else can chime in, but that is what I recall. He did get his chapter 35, and I am grateful, but dont hold your breath for Ch. 35 retro for your kids. YOur kids would have to meet all the qualifications RETROACTIVELY, including attendance in classes APPROVED by Va. I dont know how you could attend classes approved by VA if they have not approved them yet. I would love to hear from someone who got retro ch. 35. If you did, my guess is that its an exception.

Edited by broncovet

Congrats, Par. A three day decision is indeed hard to believe. I'm glad it came back in your favor to include Chapter 35 as well as CHAMPVA.

My spouse is pleased with CHAMPVA. I wish Veterans could have CHAMPVA.

Broncovet said "I am not sure he has any appeal rights..after all he is not a veteran. "

He certainly does have appeal rights.But off course there is an appeal deadline.

"I would love to hear from someone who got retro ch. 35. If you did, my guess is that its an exception."

I did. But I think that situation is much different from your sons....

My 1994 entitlement date ran out after VA had paid about 6-8 thousand towards my AMU degree. I paid about 6-8 thousand more myself to finish the degree.

Then I won a claim in 2009 that meant they had to give me a new entitlement date.

I contacted the financial aid officer and my VA counselor at my school , sent them my new award letter, and AMU sent the VA (Edu dept) a copy of my paid tuition that was paid by me ,after my entitlement date ran out.

All in all it went fairly smoothly. and they refunded the additional 6 or 8 thousand to me.

My daughter had appeal rights on a stupid decision she got from VA Edu ( sometimes an oxymoron) .

However she is a veteran, .and carefully filled out the Chap 35 form as to the military service part and attached a copy of her DD 214.She was close to her 26th birthday.

The dopes gave her a Certificate of Eligibility for one month of Chapter 35.

As the form itself, and VA regulations state, a Chap 35 EED is extended by as many years of military service, if the applicant is a veteran.

Oddly enough I found yesterday the NOD and CUE I prepared for her, mailed to her, she copied and signed it and mailed it to VA Edu, via USPS Priority.. as I am reviewing 2 decades every piece of VAOLA I have .

They reversed in 3 weeks,after receipt of that NOD/CUE and sent her the proper award Entitlement certificate.....7 years of Chapter 35.

My next decision (after a battle ) again changed and again extended our entitlement. I might return to AMU in January.

Yesterday my daughter fulfilled her instructor's certification with DOD. .She is so excited. She paid for her bachleor's herself and doesnt really want to deal with the VA and Chap 35.

I don't know what that certification is for, because she is Classified ,Top Secret., DOD ,NSA.

Just about every single college or university today is approved by the VA.

It was the first thing I checked on at my school's web site.before I enrolled.

http://www.amu.apus.edu/index.html

And we have Appeal Rights for just about everything the VA screws up.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

parforever that's great buddy fast! probably the fastest I ever heard of,

I wonder why the refuse to look at your other claims as well?..

oh well P&T is great enjoy those Bennie's

................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use