Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can The Va Doctor Refuse To Fill Out Long Term Disability Forms From Insurance Company?

Rate this question

freedomisntfree

Question

The company I work for has given me paperwork from our insurance company for long term disability.

My service connected disabilities are the reason I had to quit working. The company I worked for filled out there section, I filled out my section and now the physician section needs to be filled out and I am playing hell to get the VA doctors to fill it out. My primary care provider filled his section out without any problems but the section the psychiatrist and neurologist are to fill out needs done but I am getting nowhere with it.

I was told they had to cooperate with the medical assessments. Is that true or can they decline to fill it out?

It is very important these are filled out by them or the long term disability will be denied. Anyone know if there is a directive that tells them to assist

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Some docs prefer to only write someone out of work for a few days than to deal with short or long term disability documentation.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

I'd tell Patient Advocate you're giving her a week to get action on this, then go to hospital admin, the IG and the media.

Time to quit f&c*n around with these ^9djk9vrqgkj;hsfagdj;gc;aj;khj

Followed the advice and went to Patient Advocate and found my request for the doctors to fill out the paperwork for LTD had already be channeled her way and the doctors were approved to fill them out. I was told to go see my doctors so I did. My psychiatrist explained his reluctance was due to VA policies and he had to have approval first.

After sitting down with him and receiving his assessment I feel a lot better.

Patients conditions: PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder, Panic Disorder and Psychotic Disorder. (Man I must be F"d" in the head.

Description , how does it does it affect interpersonal relations and job?

"Patient with very sever anxiety secondary to PTSD with episodes of panic, depression and psychotic disorder. Patients symptoms result in incapacity to maintain healthy interpersonal relationship at work. Severity of symptoms increase when he is away from his home. Patient is not capable of functioning in his occupation due to symptom severity. Patients symptoms appear to be chronic. At this time have been treatment resistant."

I guess this will be good. He also checked the box of severe limitation, incapable of minimal activity or sedentary work. Checked the box House confined as well.

Thank you for the advice.

• HadIt.com Elder

so the MH Dr filled out your DBQ???

I need to print out a PTSD DBQ and take it to my Dr VA M.H. Physiatrist ask if she will fill it out for me.

I didn't know they needed approval?

or maybe its just the LTD?

VA Docs do fill out a PTSD DBQ right?

she ask me if I was going to file a claim?? that was couple weeks ago.

Glad you got it all going freedomisntfree.

.....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

so the MH Dr filled out your DBQ???

I need to print out a PTSD DBQ and take it to my Dr VA M.H. Physiatrist ask if she will fill it out for me.

I didn't know they needed approval?

or maybe its just the LTD?

VA Docs do fill out a PTSD DBQ right?

she ask me if I was going to file a claim?? that was couple weeks ago.

Glad you got it all going freedomisntfree.

.....................Buck

Buck,

It wasn't the VA form DBQ. It was actually the insurance long term disability form. I don't believe a MH or PTSD Psychiatrist can fill out the DBQ at request. It would have to be done by assignment to a person that has been placed in the position to complete the DBQ's. This prevents a DBQ from being filled out with prejudice.

VA Directive 2008-071 established a policy requiring VHA health care providers, when requested, to assist veteran patients in completing non-Department of Veterans Affairs medical forms by providing the veteran patient with medical statements with respect to their medical conditions and functionality. This includes medical forms from insurance and SSI.

Although the VA Directive 2008-071 expired October 31, 2013, it is still required under CFR 17.38(a)(1)(xiv) medical benefits package. This Directive paved the way by establishing the policy and now it is at the discretion of the VA Medical Center to establish and maintain a policy that still meets the requirements of CFR 17.38(a)(1)(xiv) medical benefits package.

I did not know this information before I posted in the forum but want to share it with all in the event they run into or have ran into the problems I was having.

• HadIt.com Elder

How would a vet get a PTSD DBQ filled out? by the Docs?

I was thinking bout printing out the ptsd DBQ and asking my MH Dr to fill it ot....or does this need to be a private Dr?

I heard all of the PTSD claims need to be done by VA Doc'S??

Its usually the same one the C&P Examiner uses in his report right?

I am confused?

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!