Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Choice Program is the same o same o

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Please forgive me if I put this in wrong place but I am ashamed to admit new format baffles me.

On August 3rd VAMC Dallas informed me that the earliest Dermatology could see me was Oct 8th at 8 AM. I asked what about the 30 day wait list and getting outside appointment. The operator checked and siad I was eligible and said to call an 800 number in 5 to 10 business days. So I called August 11th Wednesday and they had nothing. I called VA and they said they had nothing so I called Patient Advocate and she said would check. She called me back in a couple of hours and told me that Head of Dermatology had not approved one person but my name would be sent up with a bunch of others.

I called today and nothing had changed so I call Directors Office and complained. By the way this all involver a half of dozen phone calls with long waits to talk to an operator or the clinics. My opinion is the Choice Program is a scam to make America think the wait list problem was fixed but nothing has changed.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

As I understand it - - The VA "Choice" program only works with physicians & medical facilities that have "signed up", and are on the "LIST".

There is a list of providers on the web, but who knows how accurate and up to date it is.

A provider that was previously used by the "Fee Paid" program must send in another batch of paperwork, agree

to whatever "Choice" thinks the service is worth to participate. This may be less than Medicare would pay.

Further, even when the services needed cannot be provided by a VA facility, at least a VA PCP must put in the originating request.

This causes even more delay.

As it stands, the "Choice" program is slated to go away, along with "Fee Paid", and other outside VA care programs.

Supposedly, they will be replaced with a "one size fits all" outside care scheme, no doubt to be set up to the VA's satisfaction, not veterans.

(Lots of administration, little actual services in a timely manner.)

The choice program is coming up in congress as soon as they come from vacation

a congressman from Georgia want the choice to be given to all Vets so we can get care

from outside providers and as it stand it might get approve. Even senator Mccain wants this after

Trump comment about he does nothing for the Vets.RU 

Edited by RUREADY

• HadIt.com Elder

The choice program is coming up in congress as soon as they come from vacation

a congressman from Georgia want the choice to be given to all Vets so we can get care

from outside providers and as it stand it might get approve. Even senator Mccain wants this after

Trump comment about he does nothing for the Vets.RU 

For decades, the politicians regarded spending money on the VA and particularly veterans as a necessary evil, and to be minimized whenever possible.

I remember a re-enlistment "contract" forced on those in the reserves in the 1970's. Basically, it eliminated several benefits that were regarded as important by

those in the reserves and who would eventually become veterans.

Anyway, the majority of the blame for the VA's current horrible reputation, behavior, and actually unlawful behavior can be put on the Congress, past an present.

The party in power certainly also had some bearing, but the situation did not really change much, even if congress and the administration did.

To me, a percentage of the war related expenditures by the government should be automatically set aside to pay for the "hidden costs" of war as it relates to veterans.

Further I see so much administrative waste and other serious problems in the present VA vs Medicare scheme that, in fact, extract money from veterans for services that a veteran has already paid in full for.   Naturally, it's all legal, thanks to clauses in the military service enlistment and appointment documents that allow the government unilateral power to change the terms at any time.   

I am just trying to get benefits that's due but the problem is who we voted for

you can forget about the old ways of doing things at VA , just get familiar with the new system

or we can stay in the old and it will always be that OLD ways of doing things. No disrespect

Chuck75 but its jmho