VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this topic

Both myself and my wife tried those mouthpieces and they didn't work for us. We both just blew out the mouth pieces at night not knowing we did. Our best solution is the nose stripes. The key to those stripes is placing them HIGH UP ON THE RIDGE of the nose as close to your eyes as you can. I was snoring real bad, not every night, now that I take Ambien and with the Oxycodone the mix will cause you to snore. Anyway I placed the strip up high and wow I got a good night's sleep but then again the Ambien will give anybody a good night's sleep. That is the most powerful stuff I have ever taken.

John,

Inspire is working for me.  During my last sleep study on August 4th, the Inspire rep checked my implant device at different settings while I was sleeping and finally determined my best setting was 1.9 volts when sleeping on my sides and 2.2 volts when sleeping on my back.  During the part of my sleep study when my implant device was on my best settings,  I had 0 apneas, 0 hypopneas, AHI 0/hour and LSAT 88%.  My doctor did not seem to be concerned about my LSAT level.  They did note that I had moderate periodic limb movements during sleep.  I am scheduled to have another sleep study in November at which time I will be recorded with my implant device only at my best settings during the study.  I now keep my device on 2.2 volts when sleeping and I extended my pause time at night from 15 minutes to 25 minutes.  By the way, the Inspire rep Tony Meinz, who flew down from Minnesota for my study, stated he recalled meeting you in Tampa. 

Take care.

GP

Vync and Buck,

Based on my own personal experience so far, I highly recommend the Inspire system procedure.  Without insurance the procedure is quite expensive.  John may have info on VA offering the procedure.

Also, for those who do not have insurance, check out www.imtheramedical.com 

According to my ENT doctor who performs the imtheramedical implant procedure as well as the Inspire procedure, both procedures work well.  In March, the imtheramedical procedure was being offered completely free to qualified candidates who agreed to participate in a five year clinical study which required 8 sleep studies during the first year after implant and one sleep study per year during the next 4 years.  You can go to their website to locate the nearest participating ENT doctor. 

Take care.

GP

Vync and Buck,

I failed to mention that I had severe obstructive sleep apnea prior to my Inspire procedure.  If you have any questions about the procedure, just PM John or myself.  John is the one who made me aware of the Inspire procedure and I will be forever grateful to him.  He has answered my questions and relieved my concerns during every step of the way.

GP

• 2 weeks later...

ArNG11,

I am sleeping good and I feel better during the day,  So far, knock on wood, I have not had any issues other than an occasional clicking noise caused by tongue movement against my teeth.  The crazy thing about it is I have only heard the clicking when my implant device is off.   I actually believe the clicking may be related to a nerve in my tongue and not the implant device.  The clicking doesn't bother me that much and I would prefer it to a CPAP anyday of the week.

GP

G Papa no pun intended but does it feel like something rattling in you head?  Man that is a weird side effect and quirk but if you sleep better and no CPAP then heh it is well worth it.  

Heck I'm still on my first machine.  Eventually I will try to follow the same path.  Good luck and I hope it keeps working for you.

G Papa no pun intended but does it feel like something rattling in you head?  Man that is a weird side effect and quirk but if you sleep better and no CPAP then heh it is well worth it.  

Heck I'm still on my first machine.  Eventually I will try to follow the same path.  Good luck and I hope it keeps working for you.

It is just a mild clicking noise that I only hear for a few seconds at a time.  It really doesn't bother me that much. 

You should definitely consider the Inspire system so you can get rid of the CPAP. JMO

GP