Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has anyone else been prescribed Tramadol?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I have been prescribed Tramadol also called Ultram by VA for pain.  It seems like I read something else on this a couple months ago, it may have been BUCK.

Its kind of interesting, because I dont think its a narcotic, but VA seems to be treating it as such. 

It worked pretty good at first, but does seem to have lost some effectiveness.  

I would be interested in hearing your take on Tramadol (50 mg).  

I agree USMC_VET, the approach is simply a knee-jerk reaction and they rarely consider the implications.  My all-time favorites are the decisions that are driven solely due to money.  They can save $5 on a prescription by changing the med and given the number of vets that take the prescription it results in significant savings.  Of course it doesn't really seem to matter that the new prescription doesn't work as well.

Green

broncovet:

Was prescribed it in the mid 90's while on active duty. It worked for a while but many people build up a tolerance to it. Eventually, I saw a prominent pain doctor who took me off of it. Frankly, everyone reacts differently to pain meds but my recommendation would be to get off of it. Also, although folks say it's not a narcotic but since it has all of  the same affects, that's just what it is. So, if looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then in the end ...it's DUCK!  Anyway...good luck..and Godspeed..Rootbeer22

Buck is right. I was on tramadol as a replacement for hydrocodone and had a seizure. My Neurologist was very upset I was placed on tramadol due to my seizures He said they should have looked at my current diagnosis and seen I was on topiramate for seizures.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck my wife takes it with good results.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

it gave me primal nightmare of horrific nature and frontal lobe headaches.. its trash