Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Waiting on Rating at Winston Salem VARO

Rate this question

flores97

Question

Hello, fellow vets.  I recently received grants on two issues from the BVA,  systemic lupus erythematosus with memory loss/mood disorder secondary, on Aug 17 2015.  I had filed the original claim Jan 7, 2010.  My question is, does anyone have an idea on average wait time for the rating phase out of the Winston Salem RO?  I know each claim is different, just trying to get a general idea.  Another question is, I have been to VA Urgent Care for Lupus Flareups 11 times in the past eight months, i was wondering if i need to forward those records to the RO to ensure correct rating.  Any help will be much appreciated and thanks in advance, and thanks to ALL Vets for your service!

Are you sure you don't already have a rating?. I;m not service connected, but since my denial, when I log into E-benefits, and click on "Disabilities", I see my condition there, rate at 70% and labeled "not service connected".

Edited by bluevet

Bluevet, I just received the letter from BVA on Mon Aug 17, I was under the impression after the favorable decision they send my file back to the RO to be rated and have the decision promulgated.  However, its different for every claim, I am not sure if they are going to order more c&p exams for rating purposes, as I have a DBQ filled out by my VA doc in Nov of last year, as well as a psych eval in sep of last year, that they should be able to use instead. Hopefully it won't be too much longer, and I will keep everyone informed of the entire end result. I do appreciate your input, I tried looking under letters in ebenefits, but its not showing anything yet

Can't help you with the additional wait time question.

You mention you "received Grants" by the BVA on 2 issues. No remands, right? Returned to your VARO strictly for Rating of your Appealed issues.

How long did you have to wait for your BVA Hearing and what type did you choose? As of 2013, I think the average was about 1000 days from NOD to BVA Decision. Did you receive any official BVA notification regarding the Decision. How long after the Hearing?

My Det VARO DRO Hearing (06/2014) took 4.25 yrs. Maybe the VA is getting their act together.

Semper Fi

Gastone, my Form 9 was filed in May 2014, certified to the board in August 2014, and i elected the video teleconference hearing which i had at the RO on June 2nd, 2015.  I received the official decision from BVA granting service connection for the systemic lupus and memory loss/mood disorder LESS than 2 and a half months later, on Aug 17.  I had filed the original claim Jan 7, 2010.  I think one reason my appeal was certified so quickly was contacting local congress members, but that can sometimes be touch and go.  I dont know if you've heard of the mobile crisis command centers that are traveling around most states, they are mainly visiting local VA hospitals every three months or so in conjunction with town hall meetings, and they are teams from local ROs for each state that help with disability claims and they do have the authority to get things done.  I attended one myself, was told my appeal would be expedited, when i didnt hear anything for several weeks i drove down to the RO and explained what i had been told at the center, and they scheduled my hearing on the spot.  Of course, i think the reason they are going above and beyond right now is from all the bad press, my claim took almost six years and i was extremely and obviously symptomatic during active service, as are many other vets, but it is a start.  I hope your hearing was successful, and hopefully some of this info will help a vet.

By the way, forgot to include this, nothing was remanded.  The decision packet from BVA said "entitlement to service connection for lupus erythematosus is granted" and "entitlement to service connection for memory loss/mood disorder secondary to lupus is granted".

Now it's just the "Hurry up and Wait Game."

BVA did move the speed of light. Maybe that will become the rule rather than the exception.

Semper Fi