Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Waiting on Rating at Winston Salem VARO

Rate this question

flores97

Question

Hello, fellow vets.  I recently received grants on two issues from the BVA,  systemic lupus erythematosus with memory loss/mood disorder secondary, on Aug 17 2015.  I had filed the original claim Jan 7, 2010.  My question is, does anyone have an idea on average wait time for the rating phase out of the Winston Salem RO?  I know each claim is different, just trying to get a general idea.  Another question is, I have been to VA Urgent Care for Lupus Flareups 11 times in the past eight months, i was wondering if i need to forward those records to the RO to ensure correct rating.  Any help will be much appreciated and thanks in advance, and thanks to ALL Vets for your service!

• HadIt.com Elder

Obligated or not, Having a VA doctor that doesn't want to do a DBQ do one is not the best choice if you have one!

I and others also suspect that 2013-002 or not, there have been internal local likely only verbal instructions to the contrary.

Properly completing one will most likely cause the doctor to use more time than is allocated for an individual.

(That's a "not good" thing to do when the doctor is over scheduled to begin with.)

Edited by Chuck75

Update:  I recently filed request for hardship, hoping to expedite rating and retro, and was approved for hardship status.  I am no longer employed as of Sep 18, 2015, behind on car payment, utilities, due to only being able to work 14-21 hours a week for months, and also due to flareups of the lupus and developing gerd and bowel problems from the meds I have been taking for the lupus.  I sent in proof of hardship Sep 16, (two days before being unemployed), attended a crisis command center at local vamc on sep 18, and gave the same paperwork directly to RO employees to ensure receipt.  Today I called Peggy and was told estimated completion of my claims is Oct 15, 2015, when I receive ratings I will post that as well. It does give me some hope, I  only wish that other vets didn't have to lose their homes and vehicles to speed up the hardship processprocess, hopefully this is a good sign of positive change.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Luck flores97

I hope you get  all you ask for buddy   I believe you will.

...Buck

Thank you, Buck, for all the help and great advice you and the other elders give out on this site, my family and I are in debt to all of you, and I fully intend to make a donation as soon as I receive the retro!  It will be great to be able to walk into the grocery store and not have to worry, and I intend to help other vets feel the same way as much as I am capable of in the near future. Thanks to everyone here on hadit, and I will post the ratings as soon as I receive the BBE. God Bless!!

Another update:  I have been rated, per Ebenefits, at a combined 80%, with 50% for psychiatric disorder with memory loss, and 60% for systemic lupus, and my retro and first monthly check will be deposited tomorrow.  I think the lupus rating was lowballed, as the schedule for lupus states more than 4 excaberations per year, lasting a week or more, and causing severe impairment of health is 100%, and so far in the past 12 months I have had 11 flares, each lasting around ten days and requiring me to be bedridden.  My VA doctor of five years stated on the DBQ that the lupus caused severe impairment, however at this point I am grateful to be rated and have the retro coming.  I think contacting Allison Hickeys office helped expedite the ratings, and I hope the process will speed up for other vets as well. I will always be grateful to every single vet in this site for the outstanding advice and support, and I will continue to post and try to contribute as much as possible.  Thank all of you.