Cost of Living Ajustment

Rate this question

Fat

Question

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think we are talking about different things here. 

There are the current military, which are set to receive a 1.3% cost of living allowance this coming calendar year based on the president's budget (same percent for federal civilian employees). 

And then there is veterans administration disability compensation (and military retirement pay) which is the same as the annual social security cost of living increase.  Everything I have read suggests there will be no cola this year.

Green

I think we are talking about different things here. 

There are the current military, which are set to receive a 1.3% cost of living allowance this coming calendar year based on the president's budget (same percent for federal civilian employees). 

And then there is veterans administration disability compensation (and military retirement pay) which is the same as the annual social security cost of living increase.  Everything I have read suggests there will be no cola this year.

but i know the house (and assume the senaate) passed a cost of living increase for veterans.

My apologies but there is no set amount for Veterans Disability COLA.  The 1.6% that is listed is for the military and not disabled veterans.   For some strange reason veterans COLA depends on Social Security COLA and if they do not get it then veterans do not get it.  Social Security COLA is published late September to some time in October.

Cost-of-Living Adjustments (COLA)

Periodically, VA makes cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs) to VA compensation and pension benefits to ensure that the purchasing power of VA benefits is not eroded by inflation. Under federal law, the cost-of-living adjustments to VA's compensation and pension rates are the same percentage as for Social Security benefits. You can learn more about COLA's on the Social Security Administration's COLA webpage.

• HadIt.com Elder

President Obama bypassed Congress and authorized the 1.6% for Military. Part of the House was blocking increase. As far as COLA's for Veterans as mentioned by others it is tied to increase for Social Security. Because our benefits are tied to Social Security I believe we get screwed cause Congress does not want to increase overall benefits but if it was us they would probably go for more realistic numbers.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I'm no economist, but the price of fuel has dropped a lot - however the cost of just about everything else has increased. It will be interesting to see how the CPI looks this year.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.