Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C and P exam results, possible rating?

Rate this question

FloridaMP

Question

Hello all, 

My wife came across this site and I have been doing reading and there is a lot of good info. I recently had my compensation and pension exam least Wednesday. I am curious as to the rating you guys think I might receive .  I am thinking 10% or 30%. I deleted the stressor info and other identifiers. Thanks in advance.

2. Current Diagnoses -------------------- a. Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: PTSD b. Medical diagnoses relevant to the understanding or management of the Mental Health Disorder (to include TBI): Obesity, Fatigue. 

[X] Markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities. 
[X] Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others. 
 [X] Persistent inability to experience positive emotions (e.g., inability to experience happiness, satisfaction, or loving feelings.) 

[X] Markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities. 
[X] Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others. 
 [X] Persistent inability to experience positive emotions (e.g., inability to experience happiness, satisfaction, or loving feelings.) 
 Criterion E: Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following
: [X] Hypervigilance. [
X] Exaggerated startle response. 
 [X] Problems with concentration. [
X] Sleep disturbance (e.g., difficulty falling or staying asleep or restless sleep). 
Criterion F: [X] Duration of the disturbance (Criteria B, C, D, and E) is more than 1 month. 
 Criterion G: [
X] The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. 
 Criterion H:
 [X] The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., medication, alcohol) or another medical condition. 
 Criterion I: Which stressor(s) contributed to the Veteran's PTSD diagnosis?: [X] Stressor #1 [X] Stressor #2 [X] Stressor #3 5. Symptoms ----------- For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses: [X] Depressed mood [X] Anxiety [X] Suspiciousness [X] Chronic sleep impairment [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood 6. Behavioral Observations -------------------------- The Veteran was reserved, but was cooperative with exam. He easily engaged and spontaneously interacted. His memory was intact. He was alert and oriented to person, place and time. His affect was full. His mood was "5/10 for depression, 10/10 for anxiety." His thought process was linear and goal directed. His thought content was unremarkable for psychotic symptoms. He denied suicidal or homicidal ideation. His judgment and insight were fair. 7. Other symptoms ----------------- 
 Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to PTSD (and other mental disorders) that are not listed above? [ ] Yes [X] No 
 8. Competency ------------- Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs? [X] Yes [ ] No 9. Remarks, (including any testing results) if any -------------------------------------------------- No remarks provided. NOTE: VA may request additional medical information, including additional examinations if necessary to complete VA's review of the Veteran's application. **************************************************************************** Medical Opinion Disability Benefits Questionnaire Indicate method used to obtain medical information to complete this document: [ ] Review of available records (without in-person or video telehealth examination) using the Acceptable Clinical Evidence (ACE) process  because the existing medical evidence provided sufficient information on which to prepare the DBQ and such an examination will likely provide no additional relevant evidence. [ ] Review of available records in conjunction with a telephone interview with the Veteran (without in-person or telehealth examination) using the ACE process because the existing medical evidence supplemented with a telephone interview provided sufficient information on which to prepare the DBQ and such an examination would likely provide no additional relevant evidence. [ ] Examination via approved video telehealth [X] In-person examination Evidence review ---------------
 Was the Veteran's VA claims file reviewed? No If no, check all records reviewed: [X] Other: vbms, cprs, capri MEDICAL OPINION SUMMARY ----------------------- After reviewing the Veterans STR, Medical Records and examining, it appears that he has the diagnosis of PTSD. It is at least as likely as not due to or the result of the experiences in service. Rationale: The Veteran meets DSM-5 criteria for PTSD. He has been in treatment for his symptoms since 2010. He reports recurrent nightmares, sleep impairment, hypervigilance, irritability and estrangement from others. He did not have these symptoms prior to his military service. Thus, it is clinically reasonable to conclude that he has the diagnosis of PTSD related to his experience in service. 
Edited by FloridaMP

It is a little difficult to quess based on some of the info that isn't here...

Are you employed, and if not,  is this a TDIU claim?

Are the stressors from combat? If so do you have the CAR or CIB on your DD 214, or do you believe you should fall under the new 2010 PTSD criteria here at hadit ( regarding  fear of and/or  close proximity to hostile activity?)

If the stressors are not combat related,do you have proof that they occurred?

You do have the diagnosis of PTSD from a VA MH professional and they did provide a nexus to your service in the exam.

Based on what you did post here I would say that as long as the proof of stressor is not an issue, then I feel you could expect about 30- to 50% or more.

Do you get SSDI and is it solely for PTSD? If so that is evidence of TDIU, paid at the 100% rate if VA knows of the SSA award and if you are not employed.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Hi Berta,

I am currently employed, full time. The claim, I believe, falls under the new 2010 criteria. I submitted after actions reports, buddy statements, and some other information documenting that the stressors happened, what they were and that I was present when they happened. That should be enough right?

I do not receive SSDI. I I checked the EBenefits site this morning and the claim moved from the "gathering information", to "preparation for decision" phase.

Is it normal for a claim to move that after having a C&P exam less than a week prior?

Mine claim is in one notch ahead of yours, the same place as yours "Pending Decision Approval",  (for the same issue <PTSD> .  Mine has sat there for three days now.  Mine was in 'Preparation for Decision' phase for one day.  Research I have done shows it can sail to Prep for notification and then Notification real fast.....  or you can wait.  Stay tuff..  hang in there..  it's almost over.  For what it's worth I also think you will come in at 30-50%.  It's all good brother/sister..  Thanks for your service!

~MV

The sections of the DBQ that are used for rating purposes are not in your original post. Can you post the part titled "Occupational and Social Impairment" and the part tited "Symptoms"?  What you've posted are symptoms from the "diagnosis" section of the DBQ. What we need to see are the symptoms listed in the "clinical findings" section.

This is just  a WAG  but I agree 10-to 30%...because we don't have the occupational statement...as to how this disability affects your ability to work.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.