Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Huge Success. HUGE!!!

Rate this topic

godelocs

Congrats, and I have to agree with Asknod on this one. That is why I myself turned down 77K severance and instead took the Military Retirement. I really needed that money, but it was a smart decision for me in the long run. The policy states if you take the Severance it will be paid back prior to receiving VA Comp pay. My good friend is going thru this currently, and he greatly regrets taking the severance. Good luck and God Bless

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

I am paying back 30k in severance from being a discharged e5 in 2004 with 6.5 years of service.

I recieve 1825$ a month from the VA and they only take 260$ per month to pay towards my severance pay.

My initial award was 20% so perhaps this is why?

Asknod, the veteran has not received anything from VA yet.  The claim has just been rated at 90%, which was great for a first look with no military medical records.  The veteran and his spouse are just very disappointed that they have to pay that severance pay back.  They understand it but wish there were a way to pay it back over time.  If they were able to receive some of the compensation money that would be great.  I will look further into the waivers to see whats possible.

Now, killemall if what you say works that way, then maybe, just maybe that will be a good thing.  If the veterans current rating is 90 and his compensation would be 1825. if he were receiving it.  That may mean that if he gets 100 %, his pay would be over 3000..  If they continue to take only the compensation that was awarded from the begining, then he would at least receive the difference of that amount.

I also had severance pay when I was discharged from the Navy due to a back issue, and the VA kept my monthly check until it was paid back.  The rational behind this is that the Gov't already paid you for your issue.  If you also get money from the VA for the same issue, then you are being compensated twice for it.  Because of their reasoning, I believe you will have a hard time getting a waiver of the debt, as it's not "a debt" in the true sense.

Killemall - I would think that the reason they are only holding that much out is that the are recouping the money on the severance for the issue that you were discharged from Service with.  So any other compensation that you receive would not be subjected to this.

Travis

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use