VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

anyone collecting ssdi from hearing loss?

Rate this question

killemall

Question

I put in a claim for ss disability for hearing loss 2 months ago.

Im currently rated 50% hearing loss and 10% tinitus from the Veterans Affairs.

Havent worked in 18 months

I also added my diagnoses of R wrist and shoulder (L and R) pain. 30% rated by the Veterans Affairs.

VA total rating is 70%

I also submitted doctors diagnoses of depression...gerd...ED...high blood pressure...L and R knee pain...sleep apnea and meiners desease.

I get no veterans affairs compensation from these as of yet because the claims are still pending.

I also have paperwork from Dr. Bash stating that I cant work due to my above medical conditions.

Well .......What are my chances for ssdi?

Im filing primarily due to my hearing loss.

Anyone getting ssdi from hearing loss?

Google searches turn up nearly nothing

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Killemall

Don't know why you shouldn't get it. I have never applied for SSDI as I am now 70 and I doubt that I would get anymore than I am getting now. I am currently waiting on the VA to give me a rating for my residuals to prostate cancer and a reconsideration I filed for peripheal neuropathy. They did a review on my PC on the 8th of Sept. and as of yesterday on ebenefits it is pending notification.  Funny how they can get something done so quick when they want to reduce you. I am currently rated 30% for HL and I took one of my hearing aids to the VA last week because it broke in half when I was taking it out. Anyway, the audiologist said I need an updated hearing test. I am going for that on the 8th. I'll let you know how that goes.

"I also have paperwork from Dr. Bash stating that I cant work due to my above medical conditions."

I assume you mean he prepared a formal IMO wi9th a full medical rationale for each condition. Make Sure the SSA has a copy of  that IMO.... as well as the VA.

"Well .......What are my chances for ssdi?

Anyone getting ssdi from hearing loss?"

I have 2 civilian friends who get SSDI solely due to hearing loss BUT , also they both  have severe speech  difficulties directly due to their HL, and they both told me it was their speech difficulties that made them unemployable for SSDI purposes..

The SSDI guidelines should probably be at their web site ( SSA Disability) for how they consider disabilities.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got a 50% 30% 10% combined rating with the VA for hearing loss  & I was turn down for SSDI , Although I appealed 2 times their rating for hearing loss is very high  higher than the VA & VA is pretty high, they said I didn't meet their hearing rating level to be total disable  & I didn't have the earned income  for the last ten years,  this was back in 2002  but now I understand if your 100% with VA  for a disability  SSDI Approves 90% of the time...be worth filing  they base there pay rate on how much you earned in the last 10 years.  Unfortunately its was less that the VA    anywhere from 1000 month to around 1500 month depending on how much you earned.

be worth filing for  SSDI AND 100% VA makes a modest income. 

jmo

.................Buck

buck,

are you saying if you are 100 percent, you can still get ssdi, even without the appropriate ten years of work credit? or did i read it wrong. thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe and just my opinion You have to have credit of earned income from the last ten years  ( under some special circumstances  they will approve) its called work credits..if you don't have enough work credits  then you don't qualify .as I understand it.  but I'm not sure.?

usually if you have worked up until you became disable and your 100% with the VA for your SC disability  then SSDI will approve or your chances of getting approved are better than 90% from what I understand.

As for as the work credits I don't truly understand how they use that?...if your not sure  call SSA and ask  is my advice. 

I read it some where I believe here on Hadit  if your 100%VA  then that's'' almost'' a sure thing you will get SSDI..A lot of it depends on the disability  but SSDI your either total disable or your not.

...............Buck

I put in a claim for ss disability for hearing loss 2 months ago.

Im currently rated 50% hearing loss and 10% tinitus from the Veterans Affairs.

Havent worked in 18 months

I also added my diagnoses of R wrist and shoulder (L and R) pain. 30% rated by the Veterans Affairs.

VA total rating is 70%

I also submitted doctors diagnoses of depression...gerd...ED...high blood pressure...L and R knee pain...sleep apnea and meiners desease.

I get no veterans affairs compensation from these as of yet because the claims are still pending.

I also have paperwork from Dr. Bash stating that I cant work due to my above medical conditions.

Well .......What are my chances for ssdi?

Anyone getting ssdi from hearing loss?

I filed for SSDI back when I got my heart at 100% by VA standards so I was pretty bad (still am) back then. I did include my hearing loss too, which at the time was not SC but was finally approved and rated by the VA at 70% and 10% tinnitus.

SS had me take a hearing test, that I thought was ridiculous. They had me sit in a chair in a room with head phones on an gave me the test without my hearing aid! I can't hear without my hearing aide!

Anyhow I am sure the test results were included in my calculations for SSDI but I doubt the sole condition.

Only way to really find out after you have been approved is to contact them and ask for a printout. I just never bothered.

Good luck to you!

Stillhere