Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Really?? Message from Vice Chair about BVA

Rate this question

SergeantQ

Question

Now, I don't want to be negative... BUT... Is it me or why haven't anyone asked why is it that WE have sooooo many cases going to the BVA in the first place? And in the second place - how are you going to thank someone for doing their job, in terms of processing these claims. Like, it always bothers me when a mass thank-you letter goes out from leadership that proves they don't know what they are talking about. I'm sure a thank you is warranted at any level but right now, we still have a ways to go. I mean really? A record breaking year? Like we should not be proud of that. That means the system is broken! Recall VETS are dying!  My claim is going on 6 years in December - I'm nearing the end. Got an attorney and waiting but seeing this message below just makes me want to say, "who you kidding?"

MESSAGE FROM THE EXECUTIVE IN CHARGE/VICE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD OF VETERANS’ APPEALS

The Board of Veterans’ Appeals had another record-breaking year, serving 55,713 Veterans, surpassing the FY 2014 number of Veterans served.  The Board set this new all-time high while maintaining a quality rate of 93.98 percent, exceeding our longstanding goal of 92 percent.  The Board also conducted 12,738 Board hearings with Veterans, which represents a 17-percent increase over the number of hearings conducted in FY 2014.  These achievements are particularly impressive in light of the fact that the Board’s staffing levels remained fairly consistent with the levels in FY 2014, and this was a big year for the Board in transitioning to a largely paperless environment — factors that make these achievements all the more remarkable. 

As I stated last week, these accomplishments could not have been achieved without the hard work and continued commitment of all Board employees to VA’s noble mission of serving those who have served us all in defense and protection of our freedom.  A true demonstration of I CARE.  Great work, team!

Laura H. Eskenazi

Thadine Q.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

You make a good point there.

The VA and Social Security both suffer from a "doomed from the start" approach with the great majority of denials being overturned on appeal.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Congrats we have had more appeals than last year! Our RO's have set records for incompetence oh JOY!

Edited by USMC_VET

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

My point exactly. The system is broken from the beginning but then they want to come back and say they broke records processing these claims. huh? I don't get it! but maybe it's me.

Thadine Q.

The Vice Chair's statement is a slap in the face to VEterans who wait an average of 4 to 5 years for BVA to process the appeal.  (In BVA's defense, much of that 4 to 5 years the claim is not in their possession, it takes the RO's something  Its a dog and pony show.   By the way, the BVA's "average" does not add up.   NOTE:  The BVA says there is another 202 days "cycle time" where your claim is at your VSO putting his holy water on it.  They said it takes the following:

As reflected in the chart below, the average time between the time that an appeal was physically received and docketed at the Board to disposition was 357 days. The chart also provides the average processing time between other distinct steps within the multi-step appeals process that take place at the AOJ or VBA level. Time Interval Responsible Party Average Elapsed Processing

Time Notice of Disagreement Receipt to Statement of the Case VBA 330 days

AOJ Statement of the Case Issuance to Substantive Appeal (VA Form 9) Receipt Appellant 39 days

Substantive Appeal Receipt to Certification and Receipt of Appeal at the Board VBA 681 days

Receipt of Certified Appeal to Issuance of Board Decision* Board 357 days

Board Average Remand Time Factor VBA 311 days } } AOJ } *This includes the Board’s cycle time of 202 days. Cycle time measures the length of time from when an appeal is physically received at the Board until Board disposition, excluding the time the case is with a VSO representative for preparation of written argument. 

"The average length of time between the filing of an appeal (i.e., Substantive Appeal (VA Form 9)) at the AOJ and the Board’s disposition of the appeal was 1,038 days in FY 2014. Notably, the Board only controlled 34 percent of that time period in FY 2014. As reflected in the chart below, the average time between the time that an appeal was physically received and docketed at the Board to disposition was 357 days." 

So there you have it.  The Board blames the RO, the RO blames the BVA.  Vets take 4 to 5 years for appeals.  Oh, I forgot.  VSO time is/should be

• HadIt.com Elder

More VA Bull Shit if they were doing so good why are there so many Veterans waiting?

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.