VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this topic

hedgey

I looked it up, Bronco.  Medical Care Cost Recovery.  I don't think it applies to me here, because I went to my own private practitioner outside the VA. I couldn't face the crowded waiting room and all the anxiety of letting the VA doctors getting so up close and personal. <<< shudder >>>  I'm extremely lucky to have outside insurance that doesn't cover everything, but does a pretty good job.

My better half just came home from the club, and said I should be eligible for SMC-S because I have TDIU which made  me a 100% disabled veteran, and now all my other separate disabilities add up to more than 60. 

Is that accurate? I thought you had to use "VA Math" to hit the +60 mark. Someone said that you use regular math for this situation. Is that right?

My better half gets SMC-s but his "other disabilities" add up to over 100... Plus he has 100% for one single disability.

Edited by hedgey
clarification

• Founder

congratulations hedgey! i have the same problem even been in the hospital for a week for bleeding, but they denied my claim for ibs. i am glad they connected it for and it does take a toll on our bodies and our relationships.

• HadIt.com Elder

I looked it up, Bronco.  Medical Care Cost Recovery.  I don't think it applies to me here, because I went to my own private practitioner outside the VA. I couldn't face the crowded waiting room and all the anxiety of letting the VA doctors getting so up close and personal. <<< shudder >>>  I'm extremely lucky to have outside insurance that doesn't cover everything, but does a pretty good job.

My better half just came home from the club, and said I should be eligible for SMC-S because I have TDIU which made  me a 100% disabled veteran, and now all my other separate disabilities add up to more than 60. 

Is that accurate? I thought you had to use "VA Math" to hit the +60 mark. Someone said that you use regular math for this situation. Is that right?

My better half gets SMC-s but his "other disabilities" add up to over 100... Plus he has 100% for one single disability.

The VA starts over with VA math on the disabilities beyond 100%, if you have a single 100% disability. SMC and how it's calculated is not well documented in anything I've seen.

The oft cited examples in the instructions and regs are a tip of an iceberg. It's as if the VA does not want veterans to know, for fear that they might have another major issue to complain about and appeal.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use