Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My effective date and filing date

Rate this question

drewski84

Question

This really is more just FYI.. I've read a lot of people saying that your effective date or retro date will be the date you filled.. Or the second of the two. (intent to file) (filed) I just want to say that that did not happen in my case. The VA back paid and gave me an effective date year and a half before I filled for and increase to be unemployable IU. So either I just got lucky or there is a way to be retro paid before your actual filling date. Basically I got an effective date the day after I lost my job due to my service connected conditions.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't truly understand how they make a EED decision   Some times they go by when the disability first started  or when the veteran first files for it or is service connected for it

I had to stop working in 1999  and I filed in 2002 (mowed yards in between to make ends meet)..they paid me from the date I filed (2002) but noted in my reasons and bases sec  that I stopped working in 1999 due to my SC Disabilitys...And in 1998 I was SC. but at a 0%

Phillip Rogers (Flip) was helping me back then  and he said  they should have went Back to 1998 when I was first service connected  to the award in 2002....I got screwed.out 4 years retro...I got 1 year retro...it was if I remember correct 10.000.00..I just never realized what Phillip was saying & I  think its because I was just tired out fighting with them.

I highly recommend all veterans check and recheck there EED...It could mean a lot of $$  that could change you and your family's life

...........Buck

Edited by Buck52

An SSDI award solely for the same disability claimed can also provide a year of additional retro.

I explained how that works here and it is in the search feature when that gets working again.

Personal example:

Husband filed for higher PTSD rating (he was at 30% since 1983) Fall 1992.

SSDI awarded for PTSD solely, with EED to last day he worked Nov 1, 1991.SSA decision early 1993.

He died with the PTSD claim pending and as an accrued benefit the VA awarded accrued for PTSD 100% P & T,in 1997,  back to Nov 1991 up to the date of his death in 1994.

I believe since the entitlement arose within one year after filing the claim in 1992 ( per SSDI findings) this is why they paid the additional retro.

(On paper) I didnt get that year retro because widows could only receive 2 years of accrued benefits in those days. Still it garnered me CHAMPVA eligibility and also Chap 35 , which I used to finish my degree....both with the favorable Nov 1, 1991 EED,.

Edited by Berta