Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA personal hearing for Gulf war syndrome issues

Rate this question

MArinepoop

Question

HI,

I have Gulf War Syndrome. I filed a claim with lots of medical evidence for many years of my GI issues since Iraq. I have Eosinophilic Esophogitis, Acid reflux, swelling in my throat and lower digestive track, hemroids, stomach pain... just all the issues.

I need to convince them tomorrow that I have these issues and that these are connected to Iraq.

What are some of the things I can do that have worked for other people in the past?

This is something I believe without a doubt is a direct cause of being infantry in Iraq.

I have to get this on my claim, please help

I am represented by the DAV, I should have a rep from them lawyering for me, but i still need to do something to prepare.. any help is apprecciated

This is no help to you, but do Crotch FNG's in country, still have to burn the Shxxrs in the rear areas or are they all equipped with porta-potties?

Back to your situation, what exactly are you rated as, IU (Temporary),TDIU (future or no future exams scheduled)? Saw a mention of 70% SC for PTSD, and discussion of previous IU rating which would normally be subject to future exam if your under 55.

It appears that your main concern here, is getting to the 100% SC Scheduler rating where you could go out and earn above the SGI cut off figure that would cause you to loose your IU comp $$, right.

As I see it, unless I'm carrying my naughts wrong, if your currently Schedulerly rated as 70%, you need a new SC rated at 90%, if your 80% you need a new sc rated at 80% and if your currently 90% you need a new SC rated at min 50% to get to a Total SC above 95 rounded to 100SC. Gooooood LUCK on that.

Are you currently able to work, earning in excess of say $30K or so per year? If so, should you really be drawing IU comp? With IU comp, your getting about $15,600.00 per year tax free which is equivalent to about 23-24K taxable or in that area. If your able to work, get the job, you have to maintain the employment for 12 months before any reduction of IU comp is proposed by the VA.

Semper Fi

Gastone, even maybe  with porta potties available, I briefly googled this, and learned that military excrement ,among other stuff was part of what was in many of the OEF burn pits.

The "Shxxrs " in Vietnam, per some vets I know, were often empty AO canisters.

They were also used for barbecue pits. It is not far fetched to believe that  burn pits have caused more illnesses than the Gov wants us to know about.

• HadIt.com Elder

This may help some?

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/

...........Buck

hey, thanks a lot for the input.. very cool... gastone... i like you brother. anyway, I got 100% with a hearing coming in 2018. I thought I couldnt work for the past couple years lol, but i been getting 3k a month tax free. I was a lot more unmanaged back then.. even tho my symptoms are still bad with all my issues, now i have been dealing with them a many years and I am at least functioning dysfunctional.

I went to the hearing, the DRO was awesome. So was DAV. They are both helping me. The DRO is re_evauluating my PTSD now instead of 2018 and looking to make it P&T for me now instead of making me wait.

He also ordered a new gulf war syndrome exam and he is pushing it into my favor to get the docs right for me. He believes my case and what I'm saying but hes helping me do it the right way

he also took GERD and created it as an independent claim right there.

I got a little emotional in the meeting bc these issues have really affected my life on the daily basis. I had my kid and wife there and they got to comment.

The DRO also told me, I can pretty much work what I want. I thought I couldn't, but actually I can. So this is just amazing

Things were looking sort of down there for a while.. It's been looking up, but I always come here first to ask questions.

Thank you Berta, You've helped me before.

I plan on getting a job with the DAV after I volunteer a few times. I talked to them today about it, and I paid their membership to join.

OH! That explains this------a re-evaluation was coming.....you are proactively thinking ahead....

Chris  Attig ( vets lawyer) and member here, has an excellent explanation of the difference between TDIU and 100% schedular:

http://www.veteranslawblog.org/tdiu/

And there is info here on the limits to wages under TDIU.

TDIU, if deemed Permanent and Total, provides your family with CHAMPVA insurance and Chapter 35 educational benefits.

It is good evidence if you also apply for SSDI. SSDI has family benefits as well, explained in the link if one fulfills the other criteria for SSDI.

https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/

GERD ....... some vets have been awarded for GERD solely because of long term VA prescribed NSAIDs.

Even with other evidence of GERD that should be SC, the NSAIDS connection should not be overlooked, if it applies to you.

I am glad that hearing is over and it sounds like you did very well in presenting the issues, and have good representation from the DAV.   Great!