Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I claim PTSD?

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

I am 30% SC for Major Depression.  I called VA to schedule an appointment with a Psychologist because of ongoing Depression.  Had a Mental health representative from VA call me, and she conducted several Q&A's over phone.  One was a PCL-5 Questionnaire for PTSD.  I scored a 52 out of possible 80.  VA notes say it is above cutoff.  Also conducted other questions over phone, and got moderately Severe, and Severe.  Not sure if I should file increase for Major Depression or new claim for PTSD?  Thoughts?

If you file for PTSD and depression, remember you wont be getting compensated for any symptom twice, as that is pyramiding, and both PTSD and depression are rated on the same criteria.  If you dont have  a ptsd diagnosis, then ask for an increase on your depression.  To get a PTSD rating you must have:

1.  A diagnosis of PTSD.

2.  An "in service stressor" or event which caused PTSD.

3.  A Nexus or link between the 2.  

If you are SC for depression then you already met the above criteria for depression, to get an increase,  you need only show your condition got worse from when you were rated (the effective date of your current depression rating.)

Edited by broncovet

I totally agree with Buck and Bronco on this one. You need to be Diagnosed and Treated by the VA, then go from there. I have a handful of Mental Conditions but all are grouped as PTSD. Good luck and keep us posted. God Bless

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

I think your question to yourself should be, "Why haven't I Filed an FDC for PTSD yet," All your MH treatment records are at the VA, right?

File the FDC for PTSD on your E-Ben site, let the VA figure it out. Your already DX'd as being Fracked up, you may get the PTSD or at the very least an increase to your current MH SC.

Just don't get caught up over-thinking the claim, we're not the C & P Psychiatrists, they'll decide as to what your current MH problems are and their severity.

Semper Fi