VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

hypertension

Rate this question

Palma114

Question

I have a DRO hearing in about 3 weeks on my hypertension for 10% that was denied about a year ago. DAV rep tells me that I wont get 10%, because right now or for the last 7 yrs it's been somewhat controlled by medications, before I filed the claim and before I started on medications it were 212/103, 180/86, 161/76, 161/88, 160/91, 165/96, 151/99, 150/90, 161/94.

I seen this the other day, I think I'm going to use it, Reference: U.S. Court Of Appeals For Veterans Claims, No. 11-2704, David J. Jones V. Eric K. Shinseki 10/26/12, VA cannot rate you on the new improved version of yourself after the beneficial effects of the medications have had their desired effects. Any opinions or other helpful information.

• HadIt.com Elder

The main reason I asked you is the following. It is obvious that you have had uncontrolled Systolic HTN for years. That is not too good for the heart. You need a chest Xray to see if You have an enlarged heart. ( You may have already have had it done). That is Hypertensive heart disease.  That rating also carries a separate Hypertension rating in the rear so if you are already service connected for the heart and they are not connecting the Hypertension you also have an in process cue. If you have not had your heart checked, do so asap. This will change the entire aspect of your claim.

Good Luck

Basser

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
29 minutes ago, jbasser said:

The main reason I asked you is the following. It is obvious that you have had uncontrolled Systolic HTN for years. That is not too good for the heart. You need a chest Xray to see if You have an enlarged heart. ( You may have already have had it done). That is Hypertensive heart disease.  That rating also carries a separate Hypertension rating in the rear so if you are already service connected for the heart and they are not connecting the Hypertension you also have an in process cue. If you have not had your heart checked, do so asap. This will change the entire aspect of your claim.

Good Luck

Basser

Excellent advice!

jBasser

I have not had a chest Xray done, but I certainly will get me an appt set up as soon as possible. I have a chronic kidney disease stage III pending.

I just reviewed my VAMC medical records a few minutes ago and yes, I have Cardiomegaly, they are so tricky, instead of just saying enlarge heart.

Your thoughts and opinions.

Edited by Palma114

1 hour ago, Vync said:

1 hour ago, jbasser said:

Good Luck

Basser

I just checked my VAMC medical records a few minutes ago, and yes, I have Cardiomegaly, in a 2011 exam, they are so tricky, why they just didn't say enlarge heart.

Your thoughts and opinions.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to my world. You have Hypertensive heart disease. Now the day after you win your DRO decision, send the claim in for Hypertensive heart disease. Put the enlarged heart or cardiomegaly diagnosis on the file or have your rep do it and bring it out at the DRO hearing.

What is the issue with the service connection?  Why did the deny it?

J