Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VSO's "In" on delaying your claim

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

So, you call your VSO (if he bothers to return your call), and ask him "how long"?   His response is that their is a "big backlog" at the VARO or the BVA.  And now, you get "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey used to say:  

THE VSO's contribute to the backlog.  They like us to think that they RUSH our claim off to be processed, and its all the Regional office and BVA's fault for the backlog.  This isnt true, at least not all the time.  A few years ago, ebenefits had my appeal as "with VSO".  It seemed to be "with VSO" for a rather long period of time, so I checked.  Sure enough a call to the BVA confirmed that my (national) Veterans Service Officer had my claim file.  

So, I called the VSO, and asked them what was the delay?  They responded that, since I already had a docket number, there was "no hurry" for the VSO as I was simply on a long wating list at the BVA.  I found out later THIS IS NOT TRUE.  In fact, I did not have a docket number at the BVA, and I would not get one until the DAV completed its "brief" and sent it to the BVA.  This did not happen for 18 months.  

This means that the DAV "sat on my claim" for 18 months before they prepared the brief and sent it to the BVA, and THEN LIED ABOUT IT.  

After thinking about it, something similar happened when I applied.  I went to a local VSO and filled out the paperwork in March, 2002.  Later, I found out VA did not receive my claim until May 30, 2002.  

I knew it did not take 2 months for the mailman to go a 3 hour drive, but did not know better so I just assumed it was the mail or the Regional Office.  No.  When I sent in my dependent changes, I found out the VSO did not submit that paperwork for 13 months.  (The time limit is a year, so I wound up losing money on dependents, also, compliments of my "free" VSO).  

The cost of my "free" VSO has amounted to about $8000, as follows:  2 months retro lost while they were finding a stamp and mailing my paperwork (that I already had filled out myself).  Another 3 years of retro lost because the VSO delayed sending in my dependent information for 13 months, and I did not figure that out for 2 more years.  Total cost of free VSO:  $8000.   This should pay the "free" rent for the VSO at the regional office and VAMC for a year or so.  Remember that, the next time someone tells you to get a "free" VSO, or you get "free" burglar alarm when you pay for monitoring.   

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

I think its best a veteran works his own claim or stay on top of your VSO A**

if your unsure  its best to send in the things you want to be sent in either by ebenny's or snail mail with return sign receipt and always always make copies.

in my opinion the VSO  especially the DAV is just ham-scram and forgetful....hench a mess

...Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I have had good luck with my CVSO, however, I usually give her a complete claim and all she does is forward to my rep, the VFW.  Still havent figured out what they do with it.

I still want to know if the VFW has a file on me and what is in it.

Maybe I will ask for a peek someday.

Hamslice

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

I "started" with the Texas Veterans Commission... and then the DAV... and FINALLY hired a lawyer specializing in veterans law.

My original claim is ~41months old, the lawyer has been on board during the last 16months and I got my TDIU LAST month. 

Was it worth getting a lawyer?  ABSOLUTELY!

Have you ever noticed that "virtually all" of the six figure retro's have an attorney and not a VSO?  

They pretty much dont award six figure retro's at the VARO level.  

I understand Alex (Asknod) was glad to pay his attorney a hundred grand or so after he got him retro to 1994, which was probably about a half million dollars. 

If Alex cant get a six figure retro, with his command of the regulations, what are most Veterans who dont even know what a cfile is, gonna do?  

Broncovet,

That is probably true, but you need to think about why that is so.  The biggest reasons that I can think of are:

• Claims appeals were drawn out much longer, going through the BVA and CVA process.
  • Those vets with paid lawyers (+20% retro) are being paid to continue the fight/appeal to the very end and then some.  Most vets who go it alone are beat into the dirt and through attrition, they finally give up too tired to continue.