Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reconsiderations

Rate this question

FormerMember

Question

Dear Hadit members,

After reading about 500 discussions on "Motions for Reconsiderations", I finally felt the spirit within move me to write about it. I researched everything from the M21 to 38 CFR in its entirety. Here's the report. My dogs were extremely instrumental in helping me frame the discussion. Not unexpectedly, I had occasion to sneak up on a VSO from a Tacoma, Wa. VSO and lay it out for him from the standpoint of a prospective Veteran  looking for representation. He jumped in with both feet and heartily encouraged me to go the recon route prior to a full-blown NOD. His rationale? "Well, with the new FDC method, they're getting the backlog out of the way and they have more time to review a decision again before you reach the one-year suspense date to file the NOD. This is a great way to avoid a long appeal or wait a year for a DRO review". 

Huh? If you have to wait a year for a DRO show (with or without a hearing), how is it they have time to burn on a MFR? He didn't have an answer. He shrugged his shoulders and said "That's how it works. I don't make the rules." For the record, I haven't met anyone who got a genuine MFR done in that magic 12 months before a NOD filing except in the examples I wrote about. As most of you know, my idea of a MFR is an Extraordinary Writ of Mandamus. I guarantee you'll get some action using that method in 45 days if you've been in a holding pattern for two or more years waiting for a SOC or an up or down following the submission of N&M E.  The backlog didn't go away. It migrated to DROs, certification and the BVA.

There's a technique for any project. Choosing the right one isn't hard. Rest assured that if there was a shortcut, everyone here would have heard about it by now and it would be adequately described in the M21 for dunce raters to follow.

http://asknod.org/2016/01/16/vsos-lets-send-in-a-request-for-reconsideration/

I did this.  They told me the recon was quickest.  I submitted it 8 Oct 2015.  The statement I made pointed out CUE, and EED errors, which were obvious.

I was going to give it 60 days, ended up w/surgery so it slid to 90 days.  They completed it on 4 Jan 2016.  I got everything I asked them for in under 90 days.

This was probably the exception, not the rule.  I was fully aware that they could milk this for a long time, but I lucked out.

Edited by pwrslm

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey AskNod,
I don't know if I would trust a VSO that believed a veteran would only need to wait a year for a DRO show. :huh: Most folks I talk with say 2+ years is the reality. Mine took about 19 months, but that was back in 2013.

IT WORKS with evidence they did not consider is just like new evidence

just file NOD within 1 year. Keep this in mind. Reconsideration works ask VA

why its not in cfr or the M21 tell us what they say ask you will get an answer

2 hours ago, Vync said:

Hey AskNod,
I don't know if I would trust a VSO that believed a veteran would only need to wait a year for a DRO show. :huh: Most folks I talk with say 2+ years is the reality. Mine took about 19 months, but that was back in 2013.

On 1/18/2016 at 11:06 AM, asknod said:

We all know a NOD  almost guarantees a 16-20 month pause in the process but it does entail a new decision which is, essentially, a motion for reconsideration. A DRO review is identical inasmuch as it also grants a de novo decision but takes 3 years if you're lucky. 

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, pwrslm said:

I did this.  They told me the recon was quickest.  I submitted it 8 Oct 2015.  The statement I made pointed out CUE, and EED errors, which were obvious.

I was going to give it 60 days, ended up w/surgery so it slid to 90 days.  They completed it on 4 Jan 2016.  I got everything I asked them for in under 90 days.

This was probably the exception, not the rule.  I was fully aware that they could milk this for a long time, but I lucked out.

I have to believe that you were caught up in the end of year effort to clear things out. The last time I tried a DRO review was several years ago, and it was submitted within days of a denial. The DRO "rubber stamped" the denial, and Nehmer reversed the denial, added and rated other A.O. related conditions, and made a polite but snide remark in the award that concerned the RO. Basically, the remark translated was "you idiots! The evidence was sufficient to grant, even without a Nehmer review.."