Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SLEEP APENA & HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

Rate this question

BUZZ

Question

To file for smc,you have to be 100% and have another 60% disability rating.I now have sleep apena and probably will be on a crap machine,also been on couple hp medicines for a few years from the va to lower my hp,should I file and try for smc

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
On 1/18/2016 at 0:37 AM, BUZZ said:

Sorry CPAP MACHINE

The misspelling was a good pun :lol: and was probably right.

I agree that SA is another VA scandal waiting to happen. Like many of the other failures and scandals, I speculate they are hoping patients die before getting diagnosed or receiving treatment.

About four or five years ago, I asked the VA to test me for SA because my wife said I stopped breathing while sleeping. It took quite a few months to get me in for the sleep study. I slept like crap during the study. The VA sleep doc looked it over and said I had nothing but good wholesome sleep. Two years later I was seeking non-VA diagnosis for fibromyalgia because the VA doesn't know squat about it either. The rheumatologist ruled everything out and finally said I needed a sleep study. I told him I already had one. I brought the results in to the next visit and he said I should have been on CPAP back then. He sent me for another study at their sleep clinic and I got an appointment the next night. It was much more modern than what the VA had (better wiring harnesses, night vision cameras, motion detectors, etc...). They brought me back the following night and gave me a CPAP setup in BIPAP mode. I asked why the urgency? He said untreated SA can result in heart attacks, strokes, or even death - all regardless of your age. My doc was shocked that the VA had me wait months to schedule a sleep study. He said I could have taken a dirt nap before the study occurred.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

I will be seeing my PCP this coming Monday, and will be bringing up my chronic sleep issues, and my acid reflux/heart burn returned.  Hopefully that will get some attention from him, to get a flanking maneuver in the works. 

Interesting that one of the effects of SA is memory loss, I've been dealing with that for ages, even to the point of not remembering a conversation even took place, much less forgetting what was talked about.  I told my MH doc about this on Friday when I was in for therapy.  He seemed quite concerned at is requesting/scheduling a neurological exam for me.  Gonna see why I can't recall what it is that I don't even remember forgetting!

Semper Fi

Andyman

• HadIt.com Elder

Corpsman8404  & Buzz

Yes  that's it.  shows that S.A can be secondary to PTSD

This veteran was approved & S.C. S.A.  Secondary to PTSD 

........Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!