Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How to let VA know I'm receiving SSD without adding new evidence

Rate this question

ETM81

Question

Hello everyone. I have a question. I hope it's not been covered already. I couldn't find any info on it in the search. I have a PTSD increase/TDIU FDC claim.  Unfortunately, I failed to include my SSD award letter with my other evidence because I figured that since my SS disabilities are the same as my VA service connected disabilities, they would cancel each other out. However, after doing some research, I learned that my SSD award letter may in fact help my PTSD increase claim a lot. Is there any way that I can let the VA know that I am getting SSD benefits without adding the award letter to my FDC claim evidence? I was under the impression that if I add "new evidence" to a FDC, it will slow my claim down to the regular pace. I saw a VES doc today and I tried to give him the award letter but he did not take it. He said he included the fact that I was on SSD in his notes but of course I can't know that for sure. Any info you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Gastone said:

Have you filed for your States 100% or IU Vet Property Tax Exemption yet? If available, take advantage right away, check with your local Property tax Authority.

Get your significant other, enrolled in CHAMPVA and if there is a Military Base nearby, a Commissary ID Card is in order.

Semper Fi

I haven't yet but I'll do so ASAP. Thanks so much!

8 hours ago, Chuck75 said:

I had not read the last post you refer to. That said, my remarks were made as a general statement, in order to possibly help someone reading this thread.

OK. Thanks!

You'll find a VA Benefit Letter on your E-Ben site, that will take care of the State Property Tax Verification.

You'll need the Original copy With State Seal embossed, of your Marriage Lic, when you and your wife  go to get your DOD card from either a Military Base or Installation, got mine at US Army Tank Command.

Same VA E-Ben Benefit letter will work, for getting your DOD Cards.

Call 1st, see if you need an appointment.

On 1/23/2016 at 8:53 PM, jbasser said:

If your SSDI decision which it is not a SSA decision because it is a separate entity paid out of a separate fund for disability, should you inform the VA. The deciding factors at the Social Security Administration Disability Determination services are totally different than the VA. It is all or none. It has to be total, You cant work for at least 1 year or it has to be fatal. Do in essence the VA cant ignore it and they must give you IU even if you have to go to court which wont happen.   

The effective date should mirror the SSDI date if it is later than date claim filed.

J

I wish this were always true, the VA finally awarded me IU after initially denying when I sent in my SSA decision.  I had initially filed for IU in  Jan. 2011, the VA didn't deny until August of 2013.  SSA awarded in Jan. of 2014 with a date of January of 2009.  Guess how far the VA paid me to?  September of 2013.....of course I was told not to fight it, my kids have college benefits, champva, etc. don't rock the boat.  The VA will find any reason not to give us that backpay and scaring the crap out of us that we may lose it is a huge deal.  :(