Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Claim on Ebennies - I am confused?

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

Okay so now I have a new claim started as of today and I didn't file it.  I am a bit confused because my FDC which was filed a few weeks ago has the contention listed on it that is now a separate and new claim????

My FDC already had my Left Ankle contention increase request on it so why am I now getting a separate claim open for it?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 12.02.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 12.02.27 PM.png

I appointed DAV my POA back in 1971 when I filed my first claim. I have never used them for anything since. On my recent decided claim, I filed  a CUE and Reconsideration myself. Won both. The only contact with the DAV was the summary decision letters they sent me. Another time I went to see local a VSO. After waiting 2 hours, he gave me the wrong info and made me feel like an ass. Basically told me I was wasting my time. The question I asked regarded the CUE I won for SMC- S. Tried to call them once to ask another question and they never returned the phone call. So I don't have much faith in them. Did I say WORTHLESS !! My opinion. Not to take away from those who have used one successfully, though, I've just had bad experience. I'm sure there are good one's ! Your call ....

I am going to revoke my POA ASAP but not worried about it.  I know they say that representing yourself you are your own fool, but to be honest, I have represented myself in so many situations and I have prevailed.  I think I will go with representing myself again regarding this upcoming hearing....I am my own best advocate!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I would recommend holding off or taking a different route, but understand why you want to fire them.

The reason is the fact that they have something you don't have access to: the inside of the VA. If you call the 1-800 number, they are likely to give you an inadequate or substandard response. However, the DAV and other organizations actually have access to the VA computer system. They have access to your claims file. Keep in mind that this is not an "on demand" feature. I often asked them to do something and it took a few days or a couple of weeks to hear back.

Remember, the DAV is only as good as the quality of the individual. I had a fantastic DAV rep for a couple of years, but she retired. The replacement was very green.

I did eventually fire the DAV and got another VSO and went with my state VA team. Yeah, my local office is not so hot, but the rep at the VARO was excellent.

If you do fire the DAV, consider signing on with another organization just for the extra potential access to what you can't get on your own.

Okay so VA fixed this!  I just got the letter resolving the mystery of the additional claim I had for the same contention.  Apparently "human" error on someone's part but it is now fixed and I ONLY SEE ONE pending claim now with all the contentions I filed for under my FDC filed on 1/12/16....IMG_1750.thumb.JPG.0ce551d478d2f57fec1e3

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Situations like this make you want to send a letter to the VA saying something like "Gee, thanks a lot for causing me a lot of unnecessary stress."

4 minutes ago, Vync said:

Situations like this make you want to send a letter to the VA saying something like "Gee, thanks a lot for causing me a lot of unnecessary stress."

It's funny b/c this actually didn't stress me out as much b/c I am used to the VA and their "unknowns" LOL.  I figured someone just put it in as it's own claim and then realized "wait, the Veteran already has a claim for this contention".  At least they sent me a letter to let me know right????  

All good....