Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

DICK HILL

Question

I have been having a lot of left and right knee pain the past several months.  Sometimes I get pain in left knee just standing for a few minutes and have a problem with fully extending both knees during knee exercises.  I reviewed my SMRs and it is documented that I complained of left knee pain on 5 occasions while serving in the military back in the 70s and 80s.  Post service medical records document 2 occasions for left knee pain.  Could not find any documentation for right knee pain.  I am assuming that my knee problems might be as a result of abnormal gait putting more stress on my knee joints due to established service connected disabilities listed below.  I use a walking cane and a rollator walker.

Recently I received an increase for Plantar Fascittis from 0% to 30%, established SC for right hip at 10% for osteoarthritis and left hip at 10% for osteoarthritis, right radiculopathy, right lower extremity sciatic nerve at 10%, and degenerative joint disease of the lumbosacral spine with spondylosis and intervertebral disc syndrome at 20% (used to be rated as Degenerative arthritis of the Thoracic and lumber spine at 10%), which brought my final degree of disability to 80%.

My next visit to my VA primary care doctor is scheduled for 22 Feb 16 and my next visit to my Medicare primary care doctor is scheduled for 2 Mar 16.  I intend to advise both of my knee problems at those appointments, with the hope of one of them referring me to a knee doctor or at least referring me for knee

X-rays.

My question is:

If X-rays show a problem with my knees, should I file for direct SC for my left knee or should I file left and right knee secondary to plantar fascittis, hip osteoarthritis, and/or  degenerative joint disease of the lumbosacral spine with spondylosis and intervertebral disc syndrome?

Your thoughts and guidance will be greatly appreciated

Dick Hill

5 answers to this question

You dont have to "choose".  You can file for primary, secondary, direct or presumptive.  I would lot limit it, simply apply for them all.  

As always, you need 3 things for service connection:

1.  Medical diagnosis of condition.

2.  In service event or aggravation. This would include secondary service connection to an already service connected condition.  

3.  Nexus, or link between the two above.  

IMHO, I think it would really depend on what your medical doctor's opinion are. Based on your post there is not a lot in your medical records so most likely the better claims to file would be secondary claims if you can get medical opinions that your knee conditions are as least likely as not caused by or a result of you already service connected conditions.

It is very important to know what your MOS was.  If you were out humping a sack then I would jump on Bronco vets advise. 

The first is just get a diagnosis. That is the easiest way to proceed get them connected. Then have an expert review your records either an IME or VSO someone with experience to tell you what to file. I use valor compensation consulting. But just make sure you get someone to help with the nexus. Good luck

what if your doctor states that he is 100% certain that it your left leg was secondary to favoring the right leg.

what is the benefit of filing direct service connection or secondary service connection.