Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neurological exam

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Does anyone have any recent experience with neurological exams, the 8 hour variety?  My VA MH therapist is referring me to neuro to get scheduled.  He's quite interested in finding out what, if any, may be the cause of the holes in my memory.  Hmmm, wonder if maybe they can tell me why I experience deja vue (all over again) so often.

Apparently I was confused, when he told me previously that he wanted to go through a depression DBQ during our next session, which was Feb 29th. 

1 hour ago, Navy04 said:

As stated above, it can be long and over whelming, but standard as anything else. Just go in there and go thru the motions. When I got diagnosed with TBI and later Post Concussion Syndrome last year, I saw a handful of DRs and multiple Brain Scans and Nerve Tests. Good luck and God Bless

I will do what I can, thanks.

On March 8, 2016 at 8:53 AM, green said:

Just to add my $.02 and perspective, I believe the VA staff has a high concentration of Talosians.

Now this makes sense.  Holy "mr tator head" Batman

Edited by ArNG11
extra image

Update time!!!

They called the house yesterday and told my wife that my neurological exam for tomorrow is canceled.  Supposedly it won't work for the doc who would be administering said exam.  Yay me!

Now I won't have to worry about the findings anymore, just only worry about what's still unknown.

Makes my wife happy, she didn't want me to go anyway.  She doesn't want to know what's up with that useless lump between my ears.  I think that way she can't say she knows the truth about it, so she can still get mad when I forget stuff(all day every day).  Who am I kidding, knowing would not have changed that for her anyhow.  Actually it would make it easier for her to blame me.  Cuz I'm the mental one with issues going to therapy, so it must be me.

Nothing like having your little bit of hope wiped away like an errant crumb on the kitchen table...

Back to staring at the blank wall

Andyman, are they going to reschedule? That testing could really help determine what the problem is so steps can be taken to help. 

Not sure, at least, not until I see my therapist again, in a few weeks.  What gets me is, is the dr the only one who administers these exams?  Isn't there anyone else who can do it? 

Man, I tell ya, I never really had any wind in my sails, but now I don't even have any sails on my masts.  Feels like I'm manning the oars all by myself on a big ol' galleon, pulling against the main anchor still laying on the bottom.

Andy, I don't know about the VA, when I had my done I had to go to my private doctor, the OKC VAMC would not entertain an EMG, my provider would not hear of it unless I had an updated MRI.  Which I did just on the private side. Their machine was malfunctioning and go on the fritz toward the last few thousand revolutions.  VAMC mRI is quite different than the one I got from a private doc.

Neuro exams can be somewhat complicated, but that is not any reason for the VA to give you the run around. I hate to even ask but have you tried the fee based route or the supposed choice option, or ask for a outside referral?  Other than going to a private Dr., it will be difficult to get the VAMC in gear, not impossible, just difficult.

I had to wait  about 30 days or so on the private side from the date of the request, but it got done.