Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neurological exam

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Does anyone have any recent experience with neurological exams, the 8 hour variety?  My VA MH therapist is referring me to neuro to get scheduled.  He's quite interested in finding out what, if any, may be the cause of the holes in my memory.  Hmmm, wonder if maybe they can tell me why I experience deja vue (all over again) so often.

Apparently I was confused, when he told me previously that he wanted to go through a depression DBQ during our next session, which was Feb 29th. 

No doubt, flores, my back and neck are already cramping up just at the idea of maybe having to sit for hours at a time!

I found the testing very interesting and it answered questions I didn't even know to ask.

I've had cognitive issues ever since I had bypass surgery 10 years ago and this testing pointed to answers that not only helped me understand what is wrong but may now help with my claim.

When we went over the results I was asked "when did I have the stroke?". What stroke I asked. I have a brain injury that is not a TBI but has the same effect. I don't know how that gets rated but now at least I know why I can no longer write computer programs or do any math.

The test can give you a ton of information that you may point to in a claim.

I enjoyed the test, 8 hours.

Mike_S,

Ok, so now I wonder what kinds of unasked questions will be answered in my particular case.

Andyman

I hope that didn't stress you, it's not that kind of test and it did me a lot of good. 

There is none of the shrink stuff but more like getting data for how your brain is functioning like memory, motor skills and basically was enjoyable to do.

Just reading or listening to a very short story and then being asked to repeat what I remembered was a big problem for me. I thought I could do it but I couldn't do any of it. I was trying to understand why I could no longer write computer programs or do any math and now it was obvious. No short term memory which keeps me from doing simple things like calculate a tip. Relevent here so I must add, I have a degree in Physics.

This is a good exam so please relax. 

Andyman, I agree with Mike and I apologize, I should have clarified. The tests were not stressful at all, in fact, it was extremely interesting and as Mike stated, very informative. I believe my eyesight may have contributed to the migraine I ended up with, as I have been on plaquinil for a very long time and tend to squint. Mike is also correct in that the tests will tell both you and the doctor what the problems stem from accurately. Repeating the short stories back to the doctor, and copying down different patterns, was almost impossible for me to complete, but I did pretty well on repeating the number/letter combinations back. In spit of the day ending on a bad note, I had a good experience with the tests themselves and the doctor as well. 

Okay, so I won't worry about not being able to code, anymore, but then again, I never could anyway....so no loss there!

Well, my short-term memory is like a galaxy far far away, you occasionally see glimpses of light.  And my long-term memory, more like a galaxy much much  closer, you can see most everything, with dark spaces in-between the light. 

Or maybe it's the final frontier, where no person has gone before.

Mostly I just want it to come out in my favor, in relation to my claims.  My biggest rational fear is that after it's all over Ashton Kutcher will pop out and tell my how I've just been punk'd by the VA, and sorry 'bout my luck.