Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Be sure to continue submitting new treatment records

Rate this question

flores97

Question

I currently have an appeal in for SSDI, I initially applied in Oct 2015, was denied Dec 2015, and appealed Jan 7, 2016. Currently my appeal is at the Disability Determination Service center in Raleigh. I have been told the reason a lot of individuals are denied is that, when they go to the ER, Urgent Care, or have more treatment appointments, they do not send these new records in to DDS or Social Security(wherever your packet is located at that time). I was actually allowed to speak to my examiner this morning when I called to report new treatment. As of Friday(Mar 11), I have been diagnosed at Durham vamc with fibromyalgia as well as systemic lupus. The examiner made the comment(almost like she was talking to herself), well, I might not even have to send you to an exam. I usually send the recs in myself, I had just mailed a packet documenting my recent lupus flareups and visits to VA urgent care since Jan, but I wanted to let every other vet trying to obtain your SSDI know, CONTINUE submitting your new treatment recs every time you get care after submitting your SSDI application. It can really help your case, and i will keep everyone updated on my status for SSDI.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Great advice!

And this also applies to VA claims. Yeah, the VA is "supposed" to have access to your VAMC treatment records, but it is worth it to be proactive. If any non-VA treatment records are involved, it's definitely worth it to keep the VA in the know even while your claim is in the system.

Thank you, Vync, and you are absolutely right, it is imperative to call either the VA 1-800#(Peggy), and ask them to send a message to your RO pulling the treatment records or to mail them in with return receipt. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in addition to systemic lupus on Friday, Mar 11th, and since I have a NOD in disagreeing with my lupus rating I called this week and asked them to pull those records. Each condition is disabling on its own.

Flores,
From what everyone here tells me, getting a denial from SSDI on the first try is pretty common and they also say a great majority of claims are won on appeal. Sounds an awful lot like the VA system. I'm glad you are not giving up!

Thanks, Vync, I'm hopeful it will be approved on this"request for reconsideration", as they call it. When I was denied the first time, I was given the choice of reconsideration or formal appeal(much like VA). Of course I chose reconsideration and was able to submit some new evidence, new treatment records and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in addition to lupus at Durham Rhuematology last Friday.

Rereading my earlier posts shows me just how absent my memory is, lol, sorry for the repeating myself, I'll have to start rereading my posts before I post anything new to see what I've already stated. Vync, thanks again for the encouragement!!

2 hours ago, flores97 said:

Rereading my earlier posts shows me just how absent my memory is, lol, sorry for the repeating myself, I'll have to start rereading my posts before I post anything new to see what I've already stated. Vync, thanks again for the encouragement!!

Glad to help. Once you get past all the VA red tape, it will be one less thing to worry and you can focus on feeling better.