VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I need opinions and guidance on a PTSD claim.

Rate this question

armyvet89

Question

First off thanks for your time. I got home from Iraq in 2010 and it was a seriously rough reintegration period. Home still doesn't feel like home to this day. I started seeking help at the VA in columbus ohio and was diagnosed with PTSD and depression. I started the prolonged exposure treatment and i almost want to say it made matters worse.  I feel like I lost my mind. Not long after i ended having to do inpatient treatment for substance abuse and I went and put a claim in for ptsd and my left knee injury that happened in country. Here's where my problem starts. When I was doing inpatient treatment my commander came down to check on me and told my medical panel that I was lying about my 1 of my stressors. This is completely FALSE. I no showed both C&Papa exams and my claim was denied. Will what my commander said ruin my claim if I resubmitted? I have proof that that specific incident happened but can't find a buddy willing you write a statement. He's suffering the same thing. I'm even being treated outside the VA by my pcp. Any advice and guidance will be appreciated. Thanks

YOu send a request to your VARO.  This can be done on a 21-4138 and something simple like:

"I would like a copy of my c file, sent to the following address"

Signed

Ima VEt 

123 Main Street

Ogden Utah, zipper

Phone 000-123-4567.  

YOu can also send this to evidence intake, but I would send it to RO.  

You can request it via FOIA, but I just send a 21-4138, and VA will eventually send it to you in about six months to a year.  

Edited by broncovet

Thanks! One more quick question. I want to claim sleep apnea secondary to ptsd. Do I have to get the ptsd service connected before I can submit my claim for SA? Or just do it all on one claim?

Edited by armyvet89

PTSD 1st, then SA separately.

Smarter guys may correct me with recent experience, but I personally submitted both together and PTSD approved, SA was denied.  Resubmitted SA as secondary and it was approved.  At the time my PTSD was DX by a military treatment Facility shrink.  This was done after I was retired.

You'll never get a c-file in this lifetime with a 21-4138. I do wish people would not keep saying that. Here's the absolute quickest (and only) way to get you c-file within 6 months -(or less) in the new VBMS world.

http://asknod.org/2015/01/12/2015-va-updates-on-getting-your-c-file/

"I have a feeling that my original claim was denied because I didn't show up to the C&P exams. "

That would definitely have caused a denial.

" I have proof that that specific incident happened but can't find a buddy willing you write a statement. He's suffering the same thing."

If you mean your buddy has PTSD from the same stressor, he might need you for a buddy statement for his claim, so should be willing to write one for your claim.

However you said you have "proof" of the stressor so the buddy statement might not be needed.

You did say you had more than one stressor.

But I agree with those here who said VA will concede the stressor if it falls under the 2010 PTSD criteria.....fear of and/or close proximity to hostile fire.

Something is missing here.....

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.