VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scheduled C & P

Rate this question

Old 5311

Question

Please Help..Anyone have experience or tips for a C&P for ASBRSTOS related lung disease. I was a Machinist Mate working with AB nearly every day with no warning or caution of its DANGER. CV-38 1963-1967. Had my Pulmonary Test last week. Thanks, james.work@comcast.com

Edited by Old 5311

• Answers 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Veteran- did I give you the VA's PIES list for NAvy occupations with probable or high association to asbestos diseases?

I will attach it- I made this adobe pdf myself- if you cant read it email me----

Veteran- did I give you the VA's PIES list for NAvy occupations with probable or high association to asbestos diseases?

I will attach it- I made this adobe pdf myself- if you cant read it email me----

Berta,

Couldn't open your PDF.

I was a Chief Machinist Mate.

Jim

I am sorry the pdf didnt open-

Here is an excellent claim-

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files3/0515218.txt

Machinist mate .per VA , is "probable" as to Navy asbestos exposure-

here is the most recent into I have on asbestos claims:

7.21 ASBESTOS-RELATED DISEASES

a. General

(1) Asbestos fiber masses have a tendency to break easily into tiny dust particles that can float in the air, stick to clothes, and may be inhaled or swallowed. Inhalation of asbestos fibers can produce fibrosis and tumors. The most common disease is interstitial pulmonary fibrosis (asbestosis). Asbestos fibers may also produce pleural effusions and fibrosis, pleural plaques, mesotheliomas of pleura and peritoneum, lung cancer, and cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. Cancers of the larynx and pharynx as well as the urogenital system (except the prostate) are also associated with asbestos exposure.

(2) Asbestos, a fibrous form of silicate mineral of varied chemical composition and physical configuration, derives from serpentine and amphibole ore bodies. The asbestos fibers are obtained from these minerals after the rocks have been crushed. Africa has been the source of large quantities of crocidolite and amosite. The main asbestos product now used in the United States is chrysotile which consists of varied mixtures of chrysotile, tremolite, actinolite, and anthophyllite fibers. The biological actions of these fibers differ

7-IV-5

M21-1, Part VI February 5, 2004

Change 110

in some respects. Chrysotile products have their initial effects on the small airways of the lung, cause asbestosis more slowly, but result in lung cancer more often. The African fibers have more initial effects on the small blood vessels of the lung, the alveolar walls and the pleura, and result in more mesothelioma. True chrysotile fibers are hollow and extremely thin. All the other varieties of asbestos fibers are solid.

(3) Persons with asbestos exposure have an increased incidence of bronchial, lung, pharyngolaryngeal, gastrointestinal and urogenital cancer. The risk of developing bronchial cancer is increased in current cigarette smokers who have had asbestos exposure. Mesotheliomas are not associated with cigarette smoking. Lung cancer associated with asbestos exposure originates in the lung parenchyma rather than the bronchi. About 50 percent of persons with asbestosis eventually develop lung cancer, about 17 percent develop mesothelioma, and about 10 percent develop gastrointestinal and urogenital cancers.

All persons with significant asbestosis develop cor pulmonale and those who do not die from cancer often die from heart failure secondary to cor pulmonale.

b. Occupational Exposure

(1) Some of the major occupations involving exposure to asbestos include mining, milling, work in shipyards, insulation work, demolition of old buildings, carpentry and construction, manufacture and servicing of friction products such as clutch facings and brake linings, manufacture and installation of roofing and flooring materials, asbestos cement sheet and pipe products, military equipment, etc. Exposure to any simple type of asbestos is unusual except in mines and mills where the raw materials are produced.

(2) High exposure to asbestos and a high prevalence of disease have been noted in insulation and shipyard workers. This is significant considering that, during World War II, several million people employed in U.S. shipyards and U.S. Navy veterans were exposed to chrysotile products as well as amosite and crocidolite since these varieties of African asbestos were used extensively in military ship construction. Many of these people have only recently come to medical attention because the latent period varies from 10 to 45 or more years between first exposure and development of disease. Also of significance is that the exposure to asbestos may be brief (as little as a month or two) or indirect (bystander disease).

c. Diagnosis. The clinical diagnosis of asbestosis requires a history of exposure and radiographic evidence of parenchymal lung disease. Symptoms and signs may include dyspnea on exertion and end-respiratory rales over the lower lobes. Clubbing of the fingers occurs at late stages of the disease. Pulmonary function impairment and cor pulmonale can be demonstrated by instrumental methods. Compensatory emphysema may also be evident.

d. Guidelines

(1) When considering VA compensation claims, RVSRs must determine whether or not military records demonstrate evidence of asbestos exposure in service. RVSRs must also assure that development is accomplished to determine whether or not there is preservice and/or post-service evidence of occupational or other asbestos exposure. A determination must then be made as to the relationship between asbestos exposure and the claimed diseases, keeping in mind the latency and exposure information noted above. As always, the reasonable doubt doctrine is for consideration in such claims. If assistance is needed, contact the Compensation and Pension Service Regulations Staff.

(2) Rate asbestosis under diagnostic code 6833 and pleural effusions and fibrosis, and pleural plaques analogous to asbestosis. Rate cancers under the diagnostic code for the appropriate body system. Rate

mesothelioma of pleura analogous to diagnostic code 6819 and mesothelioma of peritoneum analogous to diagnostic code 7343

I am sorry the pdf didnt open-

Here is an excellent claim-

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files3/0515218.txt

Machinist mate .per VA , is "probable" as to Navy asbestos exposure-

here is the most recent into I have on asbestos claims:

7.21 ASBESTOS-RELATED DISEASES

a. General

(1) Asbestos fiber masses have a tendency to break easily into tiny dust particles that can float in the air, stick to clothes, and may be inhaled or swallowed. Inhalation of asbestos fibers can produce fibrosis and tumors. The most common disease is interstitial pulmonary fibrosis (asbestosis). Asbestos fibers may also produce pleural effusions and fibrosis, pleural plaques, mesotheliomas of pleura and peritoneum, lung cancer, and cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. Cancers of the larynx and pharynx as well as the urogenital system (except the prostate) are also associated with asbestos exposure.

(2) Asbestos, a fibrous form of silicate mineral of varied chemical composition and physical configuration, derives from serpentine and amphibole ore bodies. The asbestos fibers are obtained from these minerals after the rocks have been crushed. Africa has been the source of large quantities of crocidolite and amosite. The main asbestos product now used in the United States is chrysotile which consists of varied mixtures of chrysotile, tremolite, actinolite, and anthophyllite fibers. The biological actions of these fibers differ

7-IV-5

M21-1, Part VI February 5, 2004

Change 110

in some respects. Chrysotile products have their initial effects on the small airways of the lung, cause asbestosis more slowly, but result in lung cancer more often. The African fibers have more initial effects on the small blood vessels of the lung, the alveolar walls and the pleura, and result in more mesothelioma. True chrysotile fibers are hollow and extremely thin. All the other varieties of asbestos fibers are solid.

(3) Persons with asbestos exposure have an increased incidence of bronchial, lung, pharyngolaryngeal, gastrointestinal and urogenital cancer. The risk of developing bronchial cancer is increased in current cigarette smokers who have had asbestos exposure. Mesotheliomas are not associated with cigarette smoking. Lung cancer associated with asbestos exposure originates in the lung parenchyma rather than the bronchi. About 50 percent of persons with asbestosis eventually develop lung cancer, about 17 percent develop mesothelioma, and about 10 percent develop gastrointestinal and urogenital cancers.

All persons with significant asbestosis develop cor pulmonale and those who do not die from cancer often die from heart failure secondary to cor pulmonale.

b. Occupational Exposure

(1) Some of the major occupations involving exposure to asbestos include mining, milling, work in shipyards, insulation work, demolition of old buildings, carpentry and construction, manufacture and servicing of friction products such as clutch facings and brake linings, manufacture and installation of roofing and flooring materials, asbestos cement sheet and pipe products, military equipment, etc. Exposure to any simple type of asbestos is unusual except in mines and mills where the raw materials are produced.

(2) High exposure to asbestos and a high prevalence of disease have been noted in insulation and shipyard workers. This is significant considering that, during World War II, several million people employed in U.S. shipyards and U.S. Navy veterans were exposed to chrysotile products as well as amosite and crocidolite since these varieties of African asbestos were used extensively in military ship construction. Many of these people have only recently come to medical attention because the latent period varies from 10 to 45 or more years between first exposure and development of disease. Also of significance is that the exposure to asbestos may be brief (as little as a month or two) or indirect (bystander disease).

c. Diagnosis. The clinical diagnosis of asbestosis requires a history of exposure and radiographic evidence of parenchymal lung disease. Symptoms and signs may include dyspnea on exertion and end-respiratory rales over the lower lobes. Clubbing of the fingers occurs at late stages of the disease. Pulmonary function impairment and cor pulmonale can be demonstrated by instrumental methods. Compensatory emphysema may also be evident.

d. Guidelines

(1) When considering VA compensation claims, RVSRs must determine whether or not military records demonstrate evidence of asbestos exposure in service. RVSRs must also assure that development is accomplished to determine whether or not there is preservice and/or post-service evidence of occupational or other asbestos exposure. A determination must then be made as to the relationship between asbestos exposure and the claimed diseases, keeping in mind the latency and exposure information noted above. As always, the reasonable doubt doctrine is for consideration in such claims. If assistance is needed, contact the Compensation and Pension Service Regulations Staff.

(2) Rate asbestosis under diagnostic code 6833 and pleural effusions and fibrosis, and pleural plaques analogous to asbestosis. Rate cancers under the diagnostic code for the appropriate body system. Rate

mesothelioma of pleura analogous to diagnostic code 6819 and mesothelioma of peritoneum analogous to diagnostic code 7343

Thank you for the excellent information. This information is very difficult to obtain and I sincerely thank you. regards, Jim

Thank you for the excellent information. This information is very difficult to obtain and I sincerely thank you. regards, Jim

Thanks again for all the help.

C & P yesterday. Now wait.

39nholdin