Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scheduled C & P

Rate this question

Old 5311

Question

Please Help..Anyone have experience or tips for a C&P for ASBRSTOS related lung disease. I was a Machinist Mate working with AB nearly every day with no warning or caution of its DANGER. CV-38 1963-1967. Had my Pulmonary Test last week. Thanks, james.work@comcast.com

Edited by Old 5311

• Answers 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

JSTACY,

Some of my diagnosis were for asbestos related lung desease; emphysema Maybe I went wrong using the word "asbestosis". Who knows? The damage is located in the upper lobes vs lower. This is what the RO emphasized.

Quote from my Rep:

For VA purposes any post drug predicted FEV1 reading above 80% are considered normal, your's was 108%, this is one of the reasons the VA Dr says your breathing problrems are un related to asbestos, he also says you have dammage to the upper lobes of the lungs and asbestos always effects the lower lobes first, so if you have asbestos exposure related lung disease and show effects to the upper lobe, you should also see it in the lower lobes, again according to the scans you submitted, you only have involvement in the upper lobes - and none in the lower lobes.

My VAMC test results:

FEC: PREDICTED-4.95. PRE DRUG REPORTED% 3.90. PRE DRUG PREDICTED 79 <. POST DRUG PREDICTED 95. %CHANGE 20.

FE1: PREDICTED 3.42 PRE DRUG REPORTED% 3.24 PRE DRUG PREDICTED 95 POST DRUG REPORTED % 3.71. POST DRUG PREDICTED 108. %CHANGE 14.

I was also exposed to Sodasorb and Barylyme while diving..

Regards,

Got denied on this claim. Large lung volume and disease in up high, emphesma. Asbestosis would be down low. Life long non smoker but much exposure to Asbestos.

You might need a good IMO for this claim-

I have asbestos vet and in spite of excellent evidence -I also suggested he get an IMO-

he was diagnosed last year with a terminal cancer- I hope he lives long enough to see his award-I suggested that he add the terminal cancer also as it has metasized from his asbestos cancer.

he has my former vet rep and I am worried about his claim-

Did you get a proper VCAA election notice before you were denied?

Did the narrative with the VCAA notice tell you exactly what they needed?

Did the recent decision show that they ran you through the VA PIES criteria to confirm your level of occupational exposure to asbestos?

I recall posted info here at hadit in the past as to:

"I was also exposed to Sodasorb and Barylyme while diving.." was this mentioned in your claim- they can have long term detrimental affects on the lungs-

I recall posting this here and even maybe in email to you at the time- as -at the same time-my asbestos vet had just gotten another diagnosis that had to be added to his claim-and I remember replying to you both-

I had a print out regarding the affects of those chemicals and also a BVA decision too I think-

In any event- the VA does not seem to handle these claims well at all-

What etiology did they state for your disability because- as a non smoker- they had to give one-

We have to use their MOS on them-

If they say you do not have ___due to your service-------

THEY have to give some medical rationale and an etiology for that---

I hope you have a good Vet rep who could prepare-not a NOD yet but a Reconsideration Request-

a good vet rep knows how to do that- mark your calendar though to make sure- if they do not answer the reconsideration request within a few months- watch for the NOD year date and get the NOD in before that date goes by.

I cant explain here what a Reconsideration request is- I already did-some time ago-

I think a vet should have the support of their vet rep before filing one.

I filed one last month and they VARO immediately reacted to it- they are working on the claim now-

my reconsideration request was full of VA legalise and case law-

It happened as my vet reps changed-so they are aware of it by now (maybe?)and will support it.(Better)

I think every denied asbestos vet has to do this-formally

ask for a Reconsideration-

if you have a diagnosed known disease caused by asbestos and served with an occupation that VA knows put you into asbestos exposure-make sure they take the proper steps to decide your claim.

Edited by Berta

You might need a good IMO for this claim-

I have asbestos vet and in spite of excellent evidence -I also suggested he get an IMO-

he was diagnosed last year with a terminal cancer- I hope he lives long enough to see his award-I suggested that he add the terminal cancer also as it has metasized from his asbestos cancer.

he has my former vet rep and I am worried about his claim-

Did you get a proper VCAA election notice before you were denied?

Did the narrative with the VCAA notice tell you exactly what they needed?

Did the recent decision show that they ran you through the VA PIES criteria to confirm your level of occupational exposure to asbestos?

I recall posted info here at hadit in the past as to:

"I was also exposed to Sodasorb and Barylyme while diving.." was this mentioned in your claim- they can have long term detrimental affects on the lungs-

I recall posting this here and even maybe in email to you at the time- as -at the same time-my asbestos vet had just gotten another diagnosis that had to be added to his claim-and I remember replying to you both-

I had a print out regarding the affects of those chemicals and also a BVA decision too I think-

In any event- the VA does not seem to handle these claims well at all-

What etiology did they state for your disability because- as a non smoker- they had to give one-

We have to use their MOS on them-

If they say you do not have ___due to your service-------

THEY have to give some medical rationale and an etiology for that---

I hope you have a good Vet rep who could prepare-not a NOD yet but a Reconsideration Request-

a good vet rep knows how to do that- mark your calendar though to make sure- if they do not answer the reconsideration request within a few months- watch for the NOD year date and get the NOD in before that date goes by.

I cant explain here what a Reconsideration request is- I already did-some time ago-

I think a vet should have the support of their vet rep before filing one.

I filed one last month and they VARO immediately reacted to it- they are working on the claim now-

my reconsideration request was full of VA legalise and case law-

It happened as my vet reps changed-so they are aware of it by now (maybe?)and will support it.(Better)

I think every denied asbestos vet has to do this-formally

ask for a Reconsideration-

if you have a diagnosed known disease caused by asbestos and served with an occupation that VA knows put you into asbestos exposure-make sure they take the proper steps to decide your claim.