VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

24 X 48 ILP Greenhouse

Rate this question

FormerMember

Question

VA sent out their Voc Rehab counselor to present me with the Individualized Independent Living  Plan (IILP). They chieu hoi'd and are not going to play keepaway. Seems someone in DC said "We don't want to see this at the CAVC." Full size and full hydroponics. He forbid growing pot in it though as its a federal grant. Two year plan and they pick up the propane and electricity bills during that time. All the hydroponic computer gear, 12 2000W halide lights, raised tables, storage tanks, pumps. Plumbing, wiring and propane gas utilities hooked up. Just add seeds (not included). It only took five years and a trip to the BVA.

amen.

On 7/7/2016 at 5:08 PM, Buck52 said:

David,

if this will help you why not apply for it.

a woodworking shop would be pretty cool  and to get you out an about is what its all about my friend.

I'm sure after Alex (Asknod) gets his greenhouse all set up  and gets his Certification for VA Accredited Adjudicator or what ever they call it VSO maybe?

He will help you,  are on SMC S-1 and K? Also?

I think all you need to qualify is to be 100%P&T  SMC's would probably help  but I don't think its required for the ILP, however i'm not sure?

Your disability is one that  the woodworking shop would be a added benefit for ya.

File for it my friend..all they can do is say no...or deny...but ya got to apply for it my friend.

jmo

....................Buck

Thank you Buck, I will apply but have no fight in me. My wife is my advocate but knows nothing of the system. Yes SMC S,K

David 

David, 

Any project such as a woodworking shop requires stamina to win. I began by getting a therapist to review my disabilities and my desire to do something more than watch the Price is Right on TV. I love gardening and the therapist wrote it up as something a) I could accomplish and b) that it would be good for me. My disabilities are pretty extensive:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp15/Files5/1538123.txt

The VA judge granted my wish but VA has dragged their feet for 10 months implementing it. Towards that end, I filed a Writ at the CAVC demanding compliance. They're coming out next Wednesday to take a gander-finally.

VA will fight you on this as they hate to give away their(our)  money. If iled for the greenhouse in 2011 to see if I could win it for all of us. It took 5 years and I'm still not there but I'm close. A woodworking shop is well within the parameters of what VA's ILP is all about. You do have to be more disabled than most but it appears you qualify.

I would be honored to help you in your fight for this. Go to my website at asknod.org and you can read articles I've written over the years documenting my fight with them. Every journey begins with the first step. They told me there was no such thing as ILP in 2011. 

https://asknod.org/category/independent-living-program/

We always win. It just takes time. ILP has $180 K for each and every Vet who qualifies.There are 2,700 slots open each year and VA only filled 1,426 last year. What does that tell you? We sure aren't running out of disabled Vets.

We have a summer place in Hiram on Barker Pond near Fryeburg. It's been in our family since 1895 when my Great Uncle Forest built it.  Due to my illnesses, I haven't been back since 2006 but enjoy it immensely. I hope to return soon for a summer of small mouth bass and pickerel fishing.

Edited by asknod

Thank you Asknod for your reply. I would like to apply for the  ILP program but I would not do very well as I would stop at the first sign of conflict. I'm sure I could persevere with help but it may have to be through my wife. I have been in the Program before and got a computer and some cook books. That brush with the ILP program sent me further into Depression. The person that I dealt with (Joyce Dyke) was a very mean person, She has since retired from the VA.  Would love to me up with you if you ever come to Maine, I live  in Monroe about 14-miles in-land of the mid-coast (Belfast).

Thank you Again,

David

You have to have the fire in your belly or a top notch wingman. If your wife wants to be the "bad cop" with VA, you can be the fly on the wall. I think part of my bent brain syndrome is inflicting "polite pain" on the VA and forcing them to do right by us. You have to put emotions in a box and sit on them no matter how much they beg to be heard. VA does one thing. They deny. 85% of the time... Since the War of 1812. If you know that, you adjust your aim point. I prefer enfilading fire with my evidence so they just run into it.

Clear Prop. 

Asknod, I talked with my wife today about this. She is 100% on board with doing this. What should our next step be, should she become a member of this board so she can PM you with what's the next step? She is willing to do whatever it takes, she would be a good wing-person :)) She's very good at killing people with kindness, or telling them to go to hell and making them look forward to the trip. Seriously I have to be careful of getting my hopes up and then being let down, that's what sends me into depression. I need to believe going into this that it won't happen.

David  

My email is asknod@gmail.com. I have about  90 posts on the subject of ILP on the website (asknod.org). You begin by filing a VA form 28-1900 and they will get in touch with you about a face to face and a short assessment of what you do and do not qualify for. You then make the formal application for ILP and ask for whatever it is that floats your boat. You may have your wife by your side articulating your desires. There's a lot more. I don't want to drown you.

http://www.va.gov/vaforms/form_detail.asp?FormNo=28-1900