VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Feeling screwed

Rate this question

Black3018

Question

I was denied for my fully developed PTSD claim as being not service related. I went to the DAV to file my appeal but they suggested I get treatment and counseling first to establish a paper trail and to get evidence of service connection. After about 6 months of treatment I went to file my appeal. They said to do the reconsideration based on new evidence ( treatment notes and a letter from my VA therapist plus copies of my Purple Heart award) and file a NOD at the same time. In mid March a representative of the VA called and said that reconsideration can go through but i have to drop the nod. I dropped it and I've had a new c&p exam on April 8 and it's still in the gathering evidence phase. My appeal time is over may 25th. After doing more research on my own I discovered that a reconsideration doesn't exist in the VA and I'm pissed at myself for listening to the DAV. Will This be considered a new claim or will my original date of 2-24-15 still be there? I'm also thinking I should file my NOD to preserve my original date but not sure what this will do to my reconsideration. Any advice would be helpful. 

i didn't have time to complain. I got out 35 days after our return to Pendleton. I also didn't think I had any issues either until it was pointed out to me by someone I respected and served with 

i was able to get my c&p results from the blue button. Can anyone explain what the opinion means and what this could mean for my percentage. I couldn't put a pic in so I'm gonna quote 

Type of medical opinion provided: a. The condition claimed was at least as likely as not (50% or greater probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event, or illness.

c. Rationale: veteran meets criteria for PTSD and the identified stressors are deemed consistent with service in the identified combat theater. Furthermore the veteran is a recipient of both Purple Heart and the combat action ribbon, evidence of significant combat exposure. The veteran also meets criteria for persistent depressive disorder. Service treatment records show a diagnosis of depression while veteran was on active duty.

my report was 13 pages long and I couldn't get it to attach to the post. Any advice or questions would be appreciated 

What is the occupational and social statement???  If we know what we can give you a better estimate of what your rating would be based on the fact that the exam already stated at least as likely as not

Edited by Navy4life

7 minutes ago, Black3018 said:

Type of medical opinion provided: a. The condition claimed was at least as likely as not (50% or greater probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event, or illness.

This means that VA will grant your claim but there is no way of knowing what your rating percentage will be.

The occupational and social with occasional decrease in efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks although generally functioning satisfactorily with normal routine behavior self care and conversation.

this was based on my symptoms and losing a transfer because of them and some apprehension due to not responding to change well