VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security disability

Rate this question

harrysday

Question

Hey all I am 47 y/o 100%tp and I get a disability pension from my local civil service firefighter job that I worked at for 20 years and during that time I worked a side job that I paid into social security would I qualify for benefits of ssdi thanks for the help in this adventure

ArNG11:

I'm currently looking at all of the options due to my injuries as well. How many years did you work under FERS before you took the disability retirement? Is there any kind of time limit it... do you need  a certain number of years to take a disability retirements? Is that any advantage of talking the disability Fers retirements instead of the regular retirements? I currently have 10 years of FERS, and am now 55  and was thinking about retiring at 62, but am not sure if that is smart or not? Was recently diagnosis with TBI and my general medical condition is declining as  I age with all of my injuries...

1 hour ago, rootbeer22 said:

ARNG11:

Also, I pulled up the Social Security  Windfall Provisions Law on the SS  website that was given and it says clearly that it "does not"  affect those employees under the Government FERS Retirement System because they did pay into Social Security Fund from the start. I do know there are some special provisions for federal employees that try to retire early but am not sure if it would affect someone on SSDI?

Thats good to know, as the information is like pulling teeth from people.  I'm not on SSDI right now.  I just received my denial letter from SS stating that they do not consider me disabled.  I have not given them the last VA decisions as the Evidence Intake Center is who takes care of the FOIA requests.  

1 hour ago, rootbeer22 said:

ArNG11:

I'm currently looking at all of the options due to my injuries as well. How many years did you work under FERS before you took the disability retirement? Is there any kind of time limit it... do you need  a certain number of years to take a disability retirements? Is that any advantage of talking the disability Fers retirements instead of the regular retirements? I currently have 10 years of FERS, and am now 55  and was thinking about retiring at 62, but am not sure if that is smart or not? Was recently diagnosis with TBI and my general medical condition is declining as  I age with all of my injuries...

Mine is a combination of a few however,  basically I have 3.5 years Active Duty Air Force,  10 years Army Guard service,10 years FERS, and roughly 1.5 years active Army Guard.

For medical retirement under FERS no, you do have to have 5 years good service, having 10 under your belt you are more than fine. We are actually in the same boat with our FERS service, you will have an easier time than I did being 55.  (no offense on age my friend)

There are few things that can complicate the process, such as maybe having a TSP loan that is unpaid, relatively the whole thing is not that terrible as long as you are given and have the correct information.  The TSP loan thing, just has to be paid before you can withdraw it, however, there a ways to help with that such as rolling it over into a different type of retirement account if need be.

I didn't have that in my case, Workers Comp stuff was involved, that complicated things some more. 

I can give you what info you need from what I know and experienced, just PM me.

SSD will come into play as well, but all you need for that is just to have an application in, doesn't have to be approved or decided, just have to show you applied.  If you submit while working it is an automatic denial for SSD, and with that you can go on with the FERS retirement process.  

ArNG11:

Thanks...I've seen it time and time again that people generally need to fight a few rounds before the SSA comes around and they win their case? A very small percentage win the first time out but it's very very rare? It seems that the whole system is set up so you have to use the services of an attorney whom is experienced to win these types of cases. The attorney usually gets a chunk of your money but only you can decided if their services are worth it or not in the long run? I've heard that unless a Vet has a very good case already that the Attorney will not tale it anyway? Also, it can all seem overwhelming and very complicated and I think a lot of Vets just don't want to go thru the hassle. I used a lawyer one time and they promised me all kinds of things until  they got their money, then their tune changed? But, the other side of the coin is that if your medical condition is getting so bad that that it's affecting your work and are living with intense pain then maybe it's time to mover forward. I saw a few videos on YouTube that specifically address the issue of trying to obtain both VA Disability and SSA Benefits concurrently and from what I saw, it's tough but can be done to get both.  Also, the SSA and VA will share medical records and information now so that should help to at least to get that part of the process expedited? Of course, all cases and circumstances are unique so hopefully your case will be clear enough so you don't have to fight for many years before you win?. In the videos that I mentioned, the sponsor makes it very clear that the SSA and VA have very different medical acceptance standards for what they consider a disability which prevents the ability to work?

Anyway, God speed and Good luck to you...

Same to you my friend.  All I know is to fight. knowing when to stop that is another story.  :wink: