VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Disability rating (Permanent vs. non-permanent)

Rate this question

SFOB

Question

I received my compensation letter notifying me that I am 100% disabled, but not permanent. I must have a review 5 years from the date of rating. Why would I get a non-permanent rating when my combined disability percentage equals 310, 280 of which are service connected? I am over 50 years old at the time the rating was given. Should I (How?) pursue getting the status changed to permanent or just wait until the five year period is over.

It depends on what your disabilities are not the total percentage. Not all of them are permanent in that they can't improve, thats why the review and the non-permanent, most likely. Most guys that I have read in here wait a year or so and then ask for permanent status by filing a claim for it- its not always assumed or granted right at 100%. Make sure you are continuing treatment for whatever you have going on and you'll have more information for your claim asking for permanency. 

• HadIt.com Elder

you can request it and have request  you be given P&T based on your disability's meet the required criteria.

and just see what happens?

VA in their all wise opinion feels/thinks that either you will get better or medical treatment will get better and treat your condition and or you will be cured in one way or another and it will save them (VA) money for now by not paying your dependents CH35 or CHAMPVA.

Your call if you decide to challenge the P & T or not P & T.  I have seen veterans challenge the P & T issue and some were granted, some were reduced, and some were found incompetent due to a mental health rating.

3 minutes ago, pete992 said:

VA in their all wise opinion feels/thinks that either you will get better or medical treatment will get better and treat your condition and or you will be cured in one way or another and it will save them (VA) money for now by not paying your dependents CH35 or CHAMPVA.

Your call if you decide to challenge the P & T or not P & T.  I have seen veterans challenge the P & T issue and some were granted, some were reduced, and some were found incompetent due to a mental health rating.

10 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

you can request it and have request  you be given P&T based on your disability's meet the required criteria.

and just see what happens?

Is there a published list of disabilities considered permanent?

• HadIt.com Elder

Thats something a Dr needs to answer

There are a lot of disability's that keep a person from working and there are some disability's a person can work with  but usually the chronic pain keeps a person from working and the medications they take..we can't say:  were not Dr's  but we sure as hell can let them know we can't work with this disability pain all the time.

mental and phyiscal it depends how bad the disability is.

jmo

...............Buck

Of course the VA thinks that with medical treatment you will get better. That is what all doctors think up to a point. The VA is not the villain here- there is no reason to both rate and declare an injury/disability permanent unless its something like MS, or a missing limb, or something terminal. Most disabilities can be improved with proper treatment and maintenance- that should be the goal, not seeking permanence. Id rather have parts of my life back and my ability to play and roughhouse with my kids, and pick up my two year old niece than my disability payments, but sometimes it doesn't work that way. Ive had some of my disabilities improve somewhat at different times. Sometimes they got worse again, a few did not. My ratings fluctuated accordingly. Thats the way it is supposed to work. 

/rant off

Edited by brokensoldier244th