Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating Finally Received, Few ?s On New Claim, Appeal

Rate this question

Nathan104

Question

It took 1 year exactly but I finally got the big envelope. I should have received it 2 months ago but a clerical error was found that had to be fixed. Heres the official results.

Essential Hypertension- 20%

DJD/DDD lumbar spine- 10%

Patellofemoral syndrome, right knee/post arthroscopy w/ clinical diagnosis chondromalacia 10%

Irritable bowel syndrome 10%

Gastroesophageal reflux disease w/ hiatal hernia 10%

Insomnia 10%

Bilateral planovalgus flat foot 0%

Mild seasonal nasal allergies 0%

external hemorrhoids 0%

scar residuals, left face 0%

scar residuals, right forearm/left knee 0%

history of achilles tendonitis, right DENIED

upper back shoulder pinched nerve, bilateral DENIED

remote injury right hip DENIED

hearing loss, bilateral DENIED

Tinnitus DENIED

TOTAL rating 50%

Since my C&P's, my lower back got much worse and I had a lumbar diskectomy that turned out bad and I now have a large amount of scar tissue formed around nerve roots and several new herniated discs (as shown in a recent MRI). I think my best bet is to send in the new info from after the surgery and request they reevaluate it instead of straight appealing it. Not sure though. Im also going to be sending in my TDIU form at the same time as I have not been able to work since getting out and can not even go to school anymore.

I never claimed hearing loss, only bilateral tinitus. I have constant ringing in my ears that drives me almost insane at times. Not sure how I can prove this though. I was a helicopter pilot and worked around the whine of the jet engines. Ill be appealing this decision.

The achilles tendonitis and right hip injury was a problem for a few years while in service but currently does not bother me. It was only on there because the VA guy I had to see before I got out said to claim it anyways. I will not appeal those two as they arent currently a problem. Maybe down the road if they act back up. Am I wrong or is my thinking ok on these?

The pinched nerve in my back is still a problem and acts up anytime I carry a backpack or even a heavy grocery bag. Its just an intense burning in a localized spot and it lasts about 30 minutes. Maybe this isnt bad enough for a rating, I dont know.

I believe the 10% rating on my stomach problems, insomnia, and reflux are rated as they should be and will leave those as they are. Same with the 0% for the scars.

The feet problems and hemorrhoids should both be at 10% I believe based on the criteria for the ratings on those. Ill appeal those two also.

Im not sure on the allergies. I have them horribly and they are terrible almost every day. Im allergic to almost everything. But, I felt kind of funny claiming this in the first place as even though I didnt have allergies before I entered service, Im not sure these can actually be atributed to my military service. But, if they were caused by my service then they sure as heck are a lot more troublesome than 0%. Not sure what to do on that one.

My right knee was operated on in service and is the reason I was put out on disability after 8 years in service because I could not fly anymore. Ill probably appeal this one. I have not looked at the criteria for ratings on it though. But, it gives out, catches and scrapes really bad when I bend it and hurts a lot.

My back is the main problem though. I had the surgery after my c&P so my range of motion measurments used in my rating where from before it got much worse. I did howvever write several letters updating my condition and send in the surgery reports. Not sure if I should request a new c&p to get new range of motion measurements or what. The surgery was done by a civilian.

My new claim I just sent in is Depression. I saw a counselor/psychiatrist for about 6 months while in service after my knee got really bad. I have not seen anyone since getting out because Ive had no insurance and the VA made a mistake and said I wasnt eligible for health care until I got my rating. I tried getting this cleared up several times but to no avail. Now that Im rated Im good to go though and can start going to the dr after the january enrollment according to them. I guess my question on this is, will it hurt that Ive not been seeing anyone for depression? Part of my reason for filing for this is to get seen and hopefully start to get some help on it. Im kind of lost and not sure what to do. If it werent for my wife and kids, I know for a fact I would not be here right now. Its pretty pathetic that dont give in only because of what it will do to three people but I guess its kept me here this long.

Im really sorry this was so long and hopefully its not confusing.

I talked to a local vet rep for help but the guy was a moron. He told me NOT to file the TDIU form but to just hint at getting TDIU in my appeal and they would give it to me. He also told me that I could not get a temp 100% rating for the 3 month convolescence period after my surgery. Those are only a few of his doozies, most of what he said was BS. Im thinking fo calling the rep in the next county and giving him a shot but just not sure. Ok, ill stop typing now. thanks.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

nate

I to was told I could not see a va shrink until I was rated a bunch of bs. I to am young vet 33 and have been fighting for 2 years for my increase for ptsd. The most important thing you can do is have a doctor state that your depression is service conected. And you can not work becuase of it. Evidence is all the va cares about and even then they still will fight you. never give up brother and take all the advice from people here. EVIDENCE EVIDENCE AND THE WILL TO NEVER GIVE UP F@#K A VSO LEARN IT HERE AND PROCEDE LIKE THE VA IS THE ENEMY

"if your PCP is willing to write that your SC disabilities prevent you from being employed- that is all you need to get them to consider you for TDIU."

I read this while searching info on TDIU from old posts. I have a question about this. So far, I have not been seen by VA Dr's at all. The civilian Dr I had been seeing is willing to write a letter stating the above. What Im wondering is if there is a certain way this needs to be said or anything that needs to be included in the letter. Any examples out there?

Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

CAvman, Be watchful for the VA loves to play YO YO with Blood pressure readings. If the readings dip below the 109 mark for Diastolic for several occasions they will lower the rating to 10 percentage.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Guest fla_viking

Dear Fellow Veterans & Friends

posted on VAwatchdog.com is an article about how the VA raters are inconsitant and look for reasons not to give higher ratings. Some of the ratings are so blantantly fraudulant such as my experence where they listed all my disablitys and than listed the disablitys I did not have and based there ruling totally on disablitys I did not have. The RO was requireing of me to have every problem listed in the DSM4 so there was not one they could pick that I did not have and use it against me. IT took years of appeals but that sillyness was rejected by BVA.

Terry Higgins