Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are there any CCW or gun geeks out there for questions?

john999

Ha!!  @asknod  I value your input!  Any one having spent time in Laos is worthy of direct attention and respect!!  Many of the Legioneers I know come from this era. You guys gave it all. 

I totally agree with you. Proper shot placement of the .22cal will disable anyone.  And yes, I’m sure I’d lose more of my (if any is left) hearing, using anything with a caliber larger than a .22cal.  Shoot to encourage him to leave???  Well, if he’s in my house (unwanted), I’m afraid my intent is to kill. Too many homeowners are sued by intruders because they shot to wound or scare the intruder off, per se. Afterwards though, I’m all for getting back into the bed with the snoring bear I love dearly!

My dad owns a Browning Hi-Power and many other classic wheel guns. He’s a Smith & Wesson conessuier!  A real Model 29, Dirty Harry fan, so I’m all too familiar with the wheel gun. I’ve shoot many of his old classics and enjoyed them all and his input. He comes from the same era as you. There isn’t one thing wrong with a wheel gun. Even a woman can operate one.  Plus, the reliability of these pistols is superb!  

As for the question of what caliber is “enough” to kill...

I can shoot a bear and him bleed out in time, if my shot placement is directly in his heart or major arteries. Or I can shoot a bear with a .338win mag and hit his shoulder and cripple him whereby he eventually bleeds out. One is placement and one is the power of energy. It all depends on one’s ability. It’s the difference of being shot with a .22cal or being hit by a car. They will both kill you. 

In the end, we are all simply just trying to protect our families by doing what we know is best and what works for us in the best and most trustworthy ways.  I am always open to improving my ability when it comes to protecting my family.  You’ve given me something to consider, so I’ll re-look my methodology on home protection. For the meantime, I’ll forfeit my eardrums for the safety of my family....for a backup though, I think a dog would serve me well. 

GB

100% P&T (and some)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to disagree with you Grumpbox but we do not shoot to kill.  We shoot to stop the threat.  If the perp dies that's on him.  The semantics can wind you up in trouble in an otherwise righteous shooting.  I am not a lawyer but I have learned a few things in the CCW community and as a holder of CCW insurance. 

• HadIt.com Elder

If I happen to see a perpetrator entering my home unannounced I will shoot first and ask questions later, the only thing I would caution anyone about is you better make damn sure you know your target, its not a neighbor or family member/or loved or some young kid  13 /14 years old  someone you know  ect,,,ect,,,Not  Knowing one before you pull that trigger will definitely come back to Haunt you.

ok say it is a burglar or some junki breaking in to to steal you blind..if you happen to shoot I say shoot to kill    just make damn sure he falls inside your door.   

chances are if he as a weapon he will shoot you and your entire family (if this ever happens cover the body with a blanket  do not let your family/spouse / children see it.

make sure he is dead  call Police right away.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I remember one night a long time ago  I been back from Nam about 5 years or so  and still jittery/ jumpy (& still am)  one night on a hot summer night Mid Aug in West Tx  ..we slept with our berdroom window open, my kids were like 1 & 4 years old  I had been having night mares of Nam and very jittery.

well I was at a dead sleep and I woke up  only to see some arms that look like they were crawling out the window and man I jump up and hollered wheres my Gun wheres my freaking gun and I dove at that person  only to find it was my spouse  and she was all screaming bloody murder,   the neighbors came over..it was a sight to see.

what happen was my spouse got up in the mid hours of early morning bout 3: 15 am  she was closing the curtains and shutting the blinds because it got drafty and chili out and had her arms undoing the tide back curtains.(this is what I first seen) when I woke up

I thought some one was breaking in or already broke in and was leaving  and I was going to get/em.

we joke about that today  but what if I had my gun? I probably would have unloaded on my spouse.

when we get nervous or stressed in anger our brain has a mind of its own and instincts take over  so to speak.

needless to say I scared the holly shit out of her and she never gets up at night un- tying curtains.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

They are many many  small hand guns out there to choose and its just a matter of what your comfortable with and how you use a hand gun.

I myself and my spouse for home protection we both have  Ruger SR9s (9mm Luger) its small and short but very accurate and deadly...I have a snub nose S&W 38 special that is easy to carry but heavy and not very accurate  unless up close very close.  SR.9 Cost is ABOUT 375.00-400.00$$

whatever you choose to use for home protection you need to make a decision fairly soon the gun laws are going to be changed and very hard to purchase.

Hadit members Hamslice and Georgia Boy are law enforcement officers   they may have some good advice on small handguns for home protection. 

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

I would suggest after you get your dream handgun to use as home protection

go to a safe place and practice (your local gun range) using it for target practice at different distance, know your local and state firearms laws and check with the city county you live in for  certifications and permits and permits to carry.

This all could change soon.