VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing a Claim Question Agent Orange

Rate this question

kit141

Question

Filed an AO claim one month ago. Went to all appointments, waiting for rating letter.  My VSO only applied for a heart condition.  After reading some of posts here, I could also file for my legs which were affected by my cardiac arrests along with some other problems I see mentioned here,  Well yesterday I received a letter from the VA telling me that they have requested copies of my medical records for my  claim.  I also requested records  which I received after a two month wait.  The letter also encouraged to send my records.  It went on to tell me my claim could be decided within 15 days if they do not hear from me.  I have no problem with me sending the records but the records are 10 inch high which would make the task  almost impossible to do.

My VSO told me not to worry about this letter.  Should I have filed everything together or separately? Called the  the Private Medical Records Retrieval center and got pretty much what the letter said, so not much help there. 

What should my next step.  

One other thing  the doctor I saw is into alternative medicine (acupuncture), and so forth.  I have proof that I had boots on the ground by using two separate travel vouchers. 

The doctor I saw, told me as I was going out the door, make sure you file for your legs and file for the stints they had to put in to get blood flow to the legs.  Not sure if my flap surgery is covered developed a wound on my butt that required removal of most of my gluteus maximus while in the hospital. Also had TERP surgery.

Edited by kit141
text add

You said" As for not filing before, I could not prove boots on the ground."

Have you since ,been able to prove boots on ground -Vietnam, or within the parameters of the AO Thailand directives or Korean DMZ regs?

There have been successful AO claims elsewhere as well...even proven exposure to AO in CONUS.

kit141

VES sets up C&P (Compensation and Pension) appointments as a subcontractor to the VA. C&P is basically a medical exam where they collect legal evidence from doctors to help them decide your claim. They are supposed to notify you that it is a C&P Exam because it is a legal type of meeting.

What state are you in?

I would definitely return the form with proof of mailing/submission: I would scan it and upload it onto the open claim on ebenefits. That way it is time and date stamped. HOWEVER there is some sort of trigger that notices when a new document was uploaded and sometimes I see changed dates after uploading. We stopped hurrying and thinking that the VA would rate stuff properly and quickly. To me it is more important that I have proof of what we submitted.

You can ask your VSO what the current status is. They have access to more detailed status on their systems than we do on ebenefits.

Do your medical records report all your conditions (not just the heart)?

Did you claim more than a heart condition?

Did you file a hardship?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm working on similar claim stuff so it's fresh in my mind.

A/O wife

Edited by AgentOrangeWife

Made copies of everything I get. Well after my C&P I thought that things would be going smoothly not so.  Today I was surprised to find a VES mailing at my house.  They now want me to get another test done for my Heart Claim. I did not know that VES was the final say as to your claim.

What happened to working with VA.  This test was ordered by a doctor working for VES.
Yes I have civilian records showing the heart problems and also my Acute Peripheral Neuropathy. My Vso submitted a claim for the heart only.  He thought that this claim  would go thru with no problem.  Proof of Boots on the Ground, and medical records mentioning Ischemic Heart Disease.  The VSO thought I should wait and see what type of  compensation I would be getting.  IF percent is wrong and we appeal. then we would file for the APN.  I just hope that is the right way to go. Myself, I would like to get something on paper with the VA at least mentioning the possible  new claim

Know nothing about a hardship

Good luck AOW, and will keep you updated on my status

Way too many unanswered questions, do you or don't you now have Nam Boots on the Ground Verification?

Be a great help if you could post the redacted copies of "ALL" your Claims and any VA Rater's correspondence.

What do your travel vouchers indicate?

As to Acute PN, think twice on that term. Way to far downrange for Acute, have to file for Chronic PN. Check out the recent VA AO Presumptive's list. Did you have PN symptoms DX'd in your MSR's within 12 mos of leaving Nam? When were you 1st DX'd and treated for PN.

Semper Fi