VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thoughts on change to IU at retirement age??

Rate this question

wisconsinwalter

Question

4 hours ago, marina53 said:

But then again, I am convinced there is no bottom to how low this administration will go to cut the safety nets of the poor, the elderly, children and now veterans.

This why I don't participate, this is the VA proposal to the federal budget. The President has nothing to do with it. 

If you are so concerned for the poor, maybe you will agree they should be drug tested just like everyone else who works. Healthcare is collapsing due to scamming poor free riders who only know how to be poor. 

If they cared half as much for veterans as they do there base, this crap wouldn't keep happening to us

Healthcare is not collapsing due to the poor. As someone who's been an RN for 30 years I can tell you that it's more complicated than that. And not everyone who works is drug tested.  Many veterans who receive their medications from the VA healthcare system are drug tested. Trump does have plenty to do with the new budget; he is asking Shulkin to come up with the extra money to expand the Choice Program and the way the Shulkin proposes to do it is by cutting the monthly IU stipends. I live in a very rural area, 100s of miles from a VA hospital and I can tell you that not many vets I have spoken to are happy with the Choice Program. I don't think enough thought was given to this, as many disabled IU veterans do not have enough social security or retirement benefits to fall back upon. Just seems like the most vulnerable will be hurt the most.

Jerlor, This proposal, if it passes, as I understand it, will cut TDIU permanent and total back to your 70% rating. Most vets who are 100% P/T TDIU stand to lose $1000 and month, plus all the benefits that go along with it, such as CHAMP for your spouse. There is talk about grandfathering in everyone who is already on this , BUT, who knows what they will do.  It has a long long way to go and it is not a new proposal, they have been batting it about for years. "They" don't seem to understand that the vets on 100% TDIU don't have a backup of social security and other retirement benefits, since they have been too disabled to work. Hopefully, this will never see the light of day.

3 hours ago, jerlor said:

Hopefully someone can help me with this question. My rate is 70% TDIU , but I have a letter from the VA stating that I am 100% permanent and totally disabled effective  Sept. 1, 2010. My rating letter also stated " No examination will be scheduled in the future''  Will this proposed budget reduce my pay back  to 70%.

I am a 69 year old Vietnam Vet. Totally worried that this will pass. If I hear one more politician say they are for veterans, I will Puke.

I wrote my Senator about this and got a form letter reply saying how he is for Choice care. Nothing mentioned  about the budget proposal.

Hi, please see my reply to you up above.

14 minutes ago, marina53 said:

Healthcare is not collapsing due to the poor. As someone who's been an RN for 30 years I can tell you that it's more complicated than that. And not everyone who works is drug tested.  Many veterans who receive their medications from the VA healthcare system are drug tested. Trump does have plenty to do with the new budget; he is asking Shulkin to come up with the extra money to expand the Choice Program and the way the Shulkin proposes to do it is by cutting the monthly IU stipends. I live in a very rural area, 100s of miles from a VA hospital and I can tell you that not many vets I have spoken to are happy with the Choice Program. I don't think enough thought was given to this, as many disabled IU veterans do not have enough social security or retirement benefits to fall back upon. Just seems like the most vulnerable will be hurt the most.

I guess you have never lived where come up to you in the grocery parking lot and try to sell their SNAP cards. Grown ass men who never served. What do they do with that money??  Not eat apparently.  

Medicaid is nothing more than Cat 5 in the VA system. I saw first hand how the VA "topped" vets and took VA comp to pay bills of vets who don't pay their copay  charges. They even 3rd party the collections now.  No one is jumping up and down over those fees the VA pays to service veteran healthcare debt  why should veteran poor have to pay and Medicaid recipients not?

There is a whole side of veteran healthcare you don't understand

2 minutes ago, wisconsinwalter said:

I guess you have never lived where come up to you in the grocery parking lot and try to sell their SNAP cards. Grown ass men who never served. What do they do with that money??  Not eat apparently.  

Medicaid is nothing more than Cat 5 in the VA system. I saw first hand how the VA "topped" vets and took VA comp to pay bills of vets who don't pay their copay  charges. They even 3rd party the collections now.  No one is jumping up and down over those fees the VA pays to service veteran healthcare debt  why should veteran poor have to pay and Medicaid recipients not?

There is a whole side of veteran healthcare you don't understand

I agree with you here. I don't support a free ride for every poor person in the country. And I do agree that there should be drug testing if you are receiving Medicaid benefits. In any case, my main concern are the veterans that stand to lose so much.