Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suicidal Ideation

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I had a call from a local friend about  a PTSD  vet 700 miles away who a relative is seeking help for.

The vet appears to have suicidal ideation.

I gave all the help I could to the person 700 miles away they have expressed suicidal thought to but this does not appear to be an imminent situation---3rd part info...by help I mean what they could do to help this vet.

But I have had suicide calls from vets, that needed imme4diate action.

The first thing is really the best thing to do. Call 911.

But if you can assess the situation better, you can successfully talk them down and then get them to the closest VAMC.

I don’t advise that however unless you know them well and determine if they are suicidal or just needing someone to talk to, and you can give them the Suicide Hot line # as well…

https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

Actually Call 911 if you don't know what to do.........I was lucky.....in most cases I dealt with I knew these vets personally and very well and could take them right over to the local VAMC. God was with me.

This is one of many reasons however I never give out my contact info here anymore.

We are not MH professionals.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

@broncovet, I only attempted it 7 times...only.  I spent 3 days in a coma on the floor of my room in the barracks...the result of a pint of Jack chugged inside a minute. That was my most successful try.

The first time was after I was coerced by an older woman into servicing her needs with promise of a great deal on a truck she had for sale. According to Federal regulations this qualifies as sexual assault by coercion, promise of favors. The next 5 times were after the predator groomed and assaulted me the first time and the second time. The last and final time....so far...was the night after I was attacked by a drunk female sailor. 

But none of that mattered....they believe the MST was real, granted 50% for it, but not the SI, so no 70%

You should appeal, if you have not already, arguing they devalue your own life by not considering the "SI" criteria which is present "only" in the 70 and 100 percent categories for mental health disorders.  Argue the decision was "in error" as a "reasons and bases for decision" must be given, and no reasons and bases were given as to "why" they did not consider you for either the 70 or 100 percent categories, as you met that criteria "in at least one" area, SI.  

Dont take it personally, the VA lowballs, "noballs" (denies) or delays almost everyone.  

Fight for what you deserve, but refrain from taking their "cost cutting" personally.    I did the same thing.  I thought VA hated "just me", but after reading hadit for 10 years, the VA hates all Vets.  They think we are all drug addicted, alcoholic, lazy scum who abandons their family and is  trying to get government money they (the employees) deserve instead.  For example, I sent my dependents information 15 years ago when I filed.  When they rated me (finally) they rated me "as a single Veteran" and required me to send in my dependent information AGAIN.  The VA is looking for a "glitch" where they can stuff Veterans claims out of their hair, and into the BVA's hair, for many years to come.  

Now, I really think when you appeal, dont "attack" the VA, that is, dont respond to their hate with hate.  As someone said, "Be nice", as you may gain at least "one" raters sympathy.  

So, "lay out your appeal" citing evidence, and regulations.  There is "almost" a 100 percent chance you will not get the same rater as you had in the past.  Remember that.  

When I appeal, I use the "Marine Corp" method.  I do not use the pronoun "I", but instead use the pronoun, "the Veteran".  Here is my reason for using "the Veteran" and not me:

I want the VA to underestimate me.  Goliath underestimated David, remember.  He laffed at him.  So, I want Va to think I know much less than what I really know.  That is why I use the term "the VEteran", because when VSO's prepare a brief, they often use that term, "the Veteran".  So it sounds like my VSO looked up the regulations and wrote this brief, even when I wrote it myself.  

Then, when Va looks at it, they are like, "Well, this Vet has a smart person who reps him..he is right...SI IS only in the 70 percent and 100 percent categories, and a reasons and bases is required."  

You see, the VA thinks Vets are all idiots anyway, and they are looking for a way to disagree with the Vet..they assume YOU are wrong.  So, by writing in "the third person" by using "The Veteran" instead of "I", then the VA can/does more readily accept your tesimony as it is assumed it was written by your representative.  Now, I dont "fake" that I have a representative that I dont actually have, but writing in the third person lets THEM draw that erroneous conclusion.  

Its not a lie for me to speak of myself in the third person, that is, "Not" to use pronouns when referring to me.  A marine told me that his sargent would not permit the use of pronouns, as it is confusing to say he/she, as you dont know who that pronoun is referring to.  

In training, refusing to allow the pronouns, is a subtle way of showing your opinion is irrelevant, that YOU must obey, and not consider your own will.  Its dehumanizing, if you ask me.  Remember, the VA doesnt care about your opinions either.  Im sure every Vet who applies wants to get the highest rating, in the lowest amount of time.  So they already know your opinion, and that is why I dont give it to VA.  I cite regulations, "their own decision's", my doctors opinions etc., but I never use the words, " In my opinion" in my appeal.   

@broncovet,

I actually have not gotten the decision letter yet. Did get either 3 months retro, because is dated 03/29/17..., or 2 months and the bump up. First deposit was for 2 months retro, then on Friday got the previous comp rate amount. Then yesterday got either the 3rd month retro amount or bump amount. In the mail I got the life insurance mailer, but not the decision letter.

My disability list on EBenefits showed ptsd due to personal assault 50%...which is how I know they totally disregarded the SI. My VA MH dr knows all about it. The C&P examiner was told about it. In fact he asked me at the end of the exam how I felt, told him I felt like jumping through his plate glass window of his 3rd floor office. 

When my MH dr told me it was 50%, because he checked and told me before I had checked out from the MH clinic. I asked him about why not 70? Told him they must not have considered the SI. He told me that they would have considered it, but they take everything in to account before they rate. Then I said SI is in the 70 and 100 rating blocks. And they should have given me the 70. He said at least it's the 50, and to appeal the rating. 

Yeah...they didn't consider it.

Bronco...what that Marine was telling is the way they treated us at Boot Camp...everything was "this recruit this" and "that recruit that".  No I or me or we. But thank you for that advice...I will definitely have to be sure to refer to myself as "the Veteran".

Once I get the letter then we'll see what's what.

It's hard to not take it personally, when they've systematically denied nearly all of my claims due to one thing or another that I can't cover. I can't pay for IMO/IME. And the few VA doctors I see won't come out and say what the dx is for what they're treating me for. I can't imagine why dealing with the VA grinder would be like with out ptsd....but that's all I've ever known. And it has had me at the ragged edge of sanity for years.

Some may say for me to step back and relax and be glad for what I got. Easy for them to say, not having walked one step in my shoes. I hate that this happened to me. I hate that my wife has abused me in almost every single way under the tenets of domestic violence...physical, emotional, mental, sexual...in many ways. I hate that before her I have been physically assaulted, sexually assaulted, life threatened verbally and implied, I hate that I had a switchblade at my throat at age 7 that did draw blood. And all the other stuff even worse than that. I hate that the very first one was a soldier that worked for my Dad in Germany. I was just about 3 years old. I hate that I couldn't speak up when that predator got me, while I was in the Marines..because that would have been sentencing myself to a fate worse than death.  I hate that when I got caught trying to cut my wrists at work...all I got was a talking to...the Marines didn't care...because it was much easier to ignore me. I hate what it has done to me. And I hate that my whole life is one big fat lie. And I hate that I failed at stopping the pain.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hang in there Andyman  just keep your head  up high buddy, keep fighting for what you deserve...>  its your turn now to turn the tide.

I am not sure about this one ( for broncovet) but say Andyman gets a bad rating low balled , ok he Appeals the decision  , if he is awarded the 50% and is paid, and they start his 50% and he Appeals  my Question?

Does he keep getting the 50% along with all his other SC.CONDITIONS? or do they stop the pay on what he Appeals until a decision has been made final?

I do realize they will make an Adjustment from what has been paid to date but would he keep getting the 50% from this MST claim? if he appeals the 50% decision? 

Unless they just keep it at the 50% but he can appeal that too! in a timely manner.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

@Buck52,

I'm trying to keep from "drowning". One thing I did think of is I can refile my claim for teeth grinding/jaw pain. The VARO had denied on the Basis of being a symptom of something else. And said to refile once I was dx with that "something else" . Got it now...ptsd. And according to the CFR rating charts that should be a 20% rating. Which, if nothing else, should put me close to the edge of the next step to 100%. I can't remember where I was at before. So at least that is one positive takeaway from this.

I hope you don't think too poorly of me Buck...I'm sorry if it seems like I'm going out of my mind or out of control....truth is...I'm just a step away from losing it completely and giving up. I don't want to, but when you've maxed out, what's left? When you've reached your limit....what happens then? I feel like I'm running on empty and living on borrowed time. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Andyman

Maybe you should just take some time off or away from the claims process  and just figure out something to do to stay busy and not let all this get you down in the dumps.

this claims process is bad for most of us, but the way the VA is we have to fight them and when we do most of us  (&you) win.

it was worth our time and frustration . the VA wants us and a person like you to just throw it all in and give up and they win...Just don't let that happen.

Just hold your head up and worked through all this best you can  or maybe hire an experience Attorney and let him/her do all this work..its a 20% fee for them an in a hard case to win its worth it buddy.

Take Care of you and if you have children take them out camping or something that's not to expensive, the memories you make will be a life time.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!