Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suicidal Ideation

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I had a call from a local friend about  a PTSD  vet 700 miles away who a relative is seeking help for.

The vet appears to have suicidal ideation.

I gave all the help I could to the person 700 miles away they have expressed suicidal thought to but this does not appear to be an imminent situation---3rd part info...by help I mean what they could do to help this vet.

But I have had suicide calls from vets, that needed imme4diate action.

The first thing is really the best thing to do. Call 911.

But if you can assess the situation better, you can successfully talk them down and then get them to the closest VAMC.

I don’t advise that however unless you know them well and determine if they are suicidal or just needing someone to talk to, and you can give them the Suicide Hot line # as well…

https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

Actually Call 911 if you don't know what to do.........I was lucky.....in most cases I dealt with I knew these vets personally and very well and could take them right over to the local VAMC. God was with me.

This is one of many reasons however I never give out my contact info here anymore.

We are not MH professionals.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

@Buck52,

I don't know if I can let it go...see...my whole life....well, the past 40 years....the abuse that happened...starting with that soldier who reported to my father...all the way up to my abusive wife...is all tied together. How can I ignore one part of it? Buck...you've been such a great friend and occasional mentor(thanks! by the way)...So much of what happened before I enlisted in the Marines is so much uglier than what happened while in the Marines. Things that will make a Combat Vet like you blush...

I've tried the lawyer route so many times...but they only see $...never see me. I'm not worth the time to them.

As for kids...wife's in charge, not allowed to take them places unless she comes, or no go. Yeah....it's like that.

• HadIt.com Elder

I hear ya Andyman  try to hang in there the best you can maybe the worst of the worst is over and you win your claim  and move on with your life, try settle things down with your wife , that's bout all you can do. ...just keep on hanging in there things will get better for ya  my friend.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!