VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2018 COLA: 2.2%

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

According to this site, the 2018 Cola will be 2.2%, up from last years .3 percent increase.  If this holds for Veterans, and it usually does, this represents the following raises, next year:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/07/13/social-security-benefits-set-to-increase-by-largest-amount-in-years.html

Single Veteran, 100%  This year, $2915.55, next year:  2979.69

Married Vet, 100% $3078.11, next year $3145.82.  

Increase:  Single Vet, 100 percent $64.13 pay raise

Increase:  Married Vet, 100 percent $67.18 

To figure your new pay, multiply your current VA comp times 1.022

I used the compensation rates, here:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp01.asp

• HadIt.com Elder

Good info Broncovet.   Several years ago we got the big 5% raise. At that time everyone was ecstatic, but the writing was soon on the wall that this increase was doomed long term by the Feds ZIRP policy that killed any further COLA's in the near future.....that came true as we all felt the real pinch that Uncle Sucker does not count in the basket.

Thus far we are as you stated on track for a decent increase.....The kicker is this month, next month and Sept, these are the months that really count when you are dealing with Cola's.  Lets keep our fingers crossed that this year does not end up like the last 4.

• HadIt.com Elder

What I don't understand is they givtha and taketha away

President Trump may propose SSDI people to go back to work and get off SSDI? THATS JUST PLUM RIDICULOUS  how can you work if your not able to?

I hope this holds true, but if it does there already trying to figure out how to taketha it away.

''President Donald Trump has promised not to cut Social Security or Medicare, though his budget proposal for next year would reduce Social Security's disability benefits by nearly $70 billion over the next decade. The savings would come from encouraging, and in some cases requiring, people receiving the benefits to re-enter the workforce.''

''But even if Trump finds the savings, it wouldn't come close to solving the program's long-term financial problems.''Social Security is independently funded by payroll taxes, so it is not subject to annual spending bills approved by Congress. AARP hopes it stays that way.''

Edited by Buck52

Buck, we have too many people on welfare that dont deserve/need it.  Especially young people who are addicted to video games.  The operative word there is "in some cases" in your Trump quote.  I agree, "in some cases" there are young people on welfare who dont want to work.   This is not for people over 55, there are laws which protect Vets and SS recipients over 55.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

I hear that bronco  I have a 16 year old grand son staying with us at present and we seldom see him  because he stays in his room all day/night on an XBOX  OR WII,

I don't even know what the hech that is   wife said it was TV Games like war games or race cars or jungle safari adventures  ect,,,ect,,

It also makes them LAZY.

but our son said it helps in this way...at least I know where he is and not out with the wrong peers doing drugs. eh!

Edited by Buck52

I think you should do him a favor by disabling the Wifi/Wii/xbox etc.  There are parental controls for wifi and you can lock kids out with a password you dont reveal to them.  Google it.  There are parental controls where you only allow internet access at hours you specify.  Call your ISP if you need help.     I realize video games are addicting, and you should not, imho, enable this addiction by providing food, shelter, clothing, and all necessities so he has nothing to do but video games.  

It may take drastic measures.  For example your circuit breaker will probably turn off power to his room.  Expect him to scream bloody murder when you cut off his video games.  I have a 3 year old who whines and cries when my wife takes away his video game.  

Or, Next time he leaves the room, go get the devices and lock them in a place, such as your trunk.   You can even "take" the power cord and it wont work as those are propietary, usually, also.   Tell him he can get video game priveledges back when he follows the rules.  Then give him chores, such as cleaning, dishes, and applying for a job.  Limit his gaming to hours you specify, after homework and chores are done.  Do not let him have a lock on his room door.    And dont allow unklimited unrestricted access to your wifi/vidoe games.  They wont like it, but you are doing them a favor.  

You dont need a shouting match, just take action the next time he leaves the room, probably locking up the power cords to the gaming machines.  Tell him you will give him access when he completes the chores, for no more than 1 hour per day, when he asks what happened to his cords.  Do not tell him where they are at.  He has to leave the room to get food and the bathroom.  There is your chance.   Remember, you pay the electric bill.  If you dont pay it the electric company "cuts your power", so you can do the same.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

yes my son has that and uses it if he don't do his chores or house rules  but I can't tell him what to do or actually how to behave or run his life  I am not his parent.

I Do suggest things and show him or try to how to do other things  rather to just lie around and play games all day   he tells me Grandpa  to bad they didn't have an XBOX When you waa kid   its just that you don't understand  how we learn from these games..I said no I don't understand it.