VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Springfield DAV suspended for not helping Vets

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Apparently this is not a single VSO, but a group of them, and this is not the first time it happened:

One thing we learned at VA:

When it happens somewhere, and its bad, its probably repeated at other VA's.  

As to whether or not this can be applied with VSO's, well, you figure that out for yourself. 

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20171101/springfield-davs-charter-suspended-for-allegedly-not-helping-veterans

5 answers to this question

Well hopefully the issue is addressed and veterans get the benefits they have earned.

I would imagine the excuse is we are overworked and that might be true, but military veterans deserve 100% effort when it comes to the claim process.

Two ideas: hold information seminars around the country to help veterans get knowledgeable and hire more VSO workers.

I would think some recent college grads and veterans looking for work would appreciate the opportunity.

This portion of the article says what has always been my case when contacting DAV:

Other officers of the Hall-Hagler chapter could not be reached for comment. The phone number at the chapter’s headquarters, 25 Club Area, does not allow messages. Attempts to reach officers through Facebook and other veterans were not successful.

This policy, is a good example of why Vets said they were unable to get help there.  How can we "get help" from the DAV, if they can not even be reached or return phone calls?  My DAV does not return phone calls either.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Many of these VSO's have been declining since the end of WWII.   I know as a Vietnam vet I did not get a warm welcome from the DAV or VFW.   They have their political uses.   They can squawk when the VA tries to get rid of VA programs or tries to reduce compensation rates.