VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Other Side Of Service Connected Disability Compensation – Mental And Emotional

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

The other side of service connected disability compensation – Mental and Emotional

Brothers and Sisters –Welcome Home! Thank you for your service to our country and thank you for your part in hadit.com’s success. Claims for service connected disability compensation can be a very trying to the veteran and those around them. As you go through the process of applying for disability compensation and do not be mistaken for the vast majority of veterans it is a process and not a thing. Processes take time and resources from the veteran who has probably reached a point where there resources are very low. This information is for you the veteran going through the process, based on my personal experience and years of creating this website and listening to veterans stories. Though the following is directed to the veteran, there is a whole book that could be written on the toll it takes on the veterans family and friends. Probably another book on the effect to veterans advocates. In the end though I am one of you a veteran, a bit broken, but chugging along.

1. Do Not Neglect Your Health! Following your claims from beginning to end can and does consume many veterans. Keep in mind that you are in the claims process because something serious has gone wrong with your health, if it is a physical disability be aware that it will almost always drag you down a bit emotional y, cause extra stress and frustration so if you are seeing someone for your physical disability and you begin to feel the stress is more than you can deal with, be sure to ask your service provider for some help getting a therapist or getting into a group that will help you let off the steam. If it is your mental health, then you are probably already seeing a therapist or have had some kind of mental health help, use this as your support system you will need it. The question of service officers is constantly debated pros and cons, it is my personal opinion that it is always a good idea to have a service officer, consider your service officer as one of many tools you have at your disposal for completing the claims process. Please take care of your mental health, if you are having problems get help. The added stress of the claims process is very difficult for a veteran whose mental resources have been depleted to the point where they need to file a claim. I like to think of it as a safety net, I have walked the tight rope without a net and the fall is quite unpleasant. So if I fall now I know there is a net below that will catch me, I may bounce a bit and rest there a bit, but I will be able to get up again and climb the ladder and start the walk again. I want the same for you.

2. Compensation vs. Validation – You can get compensation from the V.A., but rarely will you receive validation for what you have gone through. If you want validation got to therapy, get in a group of veterans with similar interests or problems as yourself. Don’t let the lack of validation from the V.A. or for that matter the military push your buttons. Remember go to the V.A. for compensation and seek your validation elsewhere. My two cents.

3. Bringing your claim to a successful conclusion can be a life changing event for many veterans and their families. Give yourself to time to get use to it, don’t be surprised if it seems a bit anti-climatic, many veterans feel this - it will pass. Emotional ups and downs after a successful claim are normal, so just be aware of this and if possible try not to make any life changing decisions, including financial during this period. Let yourself level out a bit, you will be fine. On the other hand you may have none of these emotional ups and downs again just my two cents.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope it’s helpful.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

A VSO should not be handling the percentages for Veterans. I had one who also tried ot to the 50 percent deal.

Now If I have a valid claim in for 100 percent and a VSO says 50 percent, and I am awarded 100 percent but was awarded 50 percent first based on a VSO Than the VSO should be liable for the difference.

Interesting but should be true.

Just a Thought....Why couldn't there be a training seminar put together for the sole purpose of "How to File your Claim for A to Z...

with seminar that concentrate on certain areas...just a thought...it seems so simple on the surface but once you file a claim you need to do it right from the start...and not assume anything...just a thought

• HadIt.com Elder

The $2610 is much more than the retirement package I get as a civil servant. I thought being a federal civil servant would be security and cash in the bank but the system was gutted in 1984 and now unless a federal employee contributes wisely to their 401-K for 30 years they are shit out of luck. My SSDI and my OPM disability pension is less than my compensation from the VA and part of it is taxable.

"C ongress should do away with ro, and let bva handle everything Trunks"

To start with, congress is the entity that is responsible for the way that the VA treats us.

There are always new vets to help.

I help other vets take care of their claims like others before me, helped me.

I love the warm fuzzy, it's what I live for.

sledge

TBird,

Great post. I think its worth more than cents. I give it at least a buck fifty...lol

It is so much work to be healthy and be able to maintain everything that you need at the same time. I am not only working on my case, I am trying to maintain my home, family (1 child with Autism (PDD) and 1 child with severe anxiety and OCD, bills, SSD (still in process), paying off my major medical bills from my brain surgery. My hubby works his butt off to keep us out of the hole because of my medical conditions. What used to take me a few hours to complete now sometimes takes me days. But I keep myself healthy and as stress free as possible (notice I said as possible). I enjoy my time with my children and try to stay positive and focused.

There are so many great posts here and a lot of information. It is great to have come across a site such as yours. I have passed this site on to a few people I know that are in need.

Thanks again.

Tamara

• HadIt.com Elder

Trunks

If the RO did their jobs the BVA would have a lot less to do. Congress has underfunded the RO's and the VA is a creation of Congress. The fault for the failures of the VA lie at the door of Congress. They don't want it to work too well. Better to cheat thousands of vets out of money than to pay them for their injuries.

I think the VSO's like things just as they are also. The worse the VA claims system the more vets will depend on the corrupt VSO system to help them. The DAV has been working overtime to kill the change in the law to allow lawyers to help vets with their initial claims. Every vet who is a member of the DAV should just send in their membership cards.