VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans appeals and RAMP (Rapid Appeals Modernization Program)

Rate this question

Martell

Question

Hello. I have had a claim in process for the last 2 years under the current "Legacy" appeals process, I submitted VA Form 9 and additional evidence, now waiting for a BVA hearing.

I recently received a letter from the VA informing me of the "RAMP" program. The letter included a form titled "RAMP OPT-IN ELECTION" offering invitation to participate in this new program which it claims that by choosing to participate in it (and leaving the current Legacy program) it may lead to an earlier resolution of my claim and/or appeal and may help avoid delays being experienced in the current claims process. I have many concerns in opting out of the current claims process, will opting into RAMP which is a new claims program more than likely untested create more issues and confusion and further interfere with my current claim in the books. Apparently as it says in the form, if one decides to opt in into the RAMP program you cannot go back to the current "Legacy" program. Just wondering what opinions anyone has about this new program. Any forum members receive the new program offer?, did any forum member opt for the RAMP program?. Just trying to obtain opinions, pretty hard to make a decision, the new process may complicate and create disarray with claims that are currently in process. Opinions regarding this important topic are appreciated.       

Hi Martell,

I have been working on my father's behalf for the past few years.  He originally claimed injury to feet/flat feet in 1983 and only awarded SC for it in Nov 2015 after I submitted a very thorough claim.  He was awarded the max-50%, so he is now at 100% P&T.  That being said, I have submitted VA-9 and am waiting for a DRO hearing.  (Earlier effective date) To make a long story short, I have been looking into this RAMP program.  I emailed his VARO in Roanoke and was told it was indeed an "invite only."  They are working on the oldest appeals first.  I was going to request that his appeal go under RAMP.

I really don't have any specific info on the program besides the info in the media and the website.  I do, however, see it another way.  I think the VA knows that they are under the microscope like never before and want their programs to be successful.  I think these first RAMP claims will be treated with more attention than the "legacy" claims.  However, that is strictly my opinion.  I think if you have filed a complete claim, in addition to the additional evidence, I would say you would be a good candidate.  I used the "Chris Attig-Veterans' Log Blog Method" to a T and covered all bases . . . then his claim was a no-brainer.  

This is strictly an opinion.  Keep us posted and what you decide!  I wish you luck either way!

Well, RAMP is "too new" to have a bunch of VETS who have tried it (successfully or unsucessfully) post here about it.  So, we have to "struggle along" in the dark.  

However, my opinion is as follows:

1.  If its not broke, dont fix it.  If your claim is moving on ok, then leave it alone.  

2.  However, if what you have been doing so far is not working, it may be the time to try something else.  

Someone said insanty is to keep doing things the way you have always done them and expect a different result.  

In short, I suggest you try it as it sounds like you dont have a lot to lose, and have more to gain.  

The "big deal" here is "time".  Everyone wants to know "when" they will get their benefits, and VA's answer is always the same:  We will delay your claim as long as possible.  It sounds like they have delayed your (successful) claim as long as possible.  

In my non-expert humble opinion, I say give it a shot. There's going to be fewer cases in RAMP, so chances are with fewer cases the faster the claims will be processed. The VA website said they're shooting for 125 days per claim, so who knows maybe you can get yours done in a few months! They'd have to really screw up to make RAMP slower than legacy already is!

I just got an email from the prestige law firm of CCK on this very issue.  In short, they said that all Vets will be switched to the RAMP system, eventually, there is a pilot program where VA is picking out some old claims and offering Veterans this now.  

While there are some procedural rights you will likely be giving up by going for the RAMP, that will be happening anyway, soon, to all Vets.  

This would be a great time to have a lawyer, to see if there are any key procedural rights that would be probative to you relative to RAMP.  We have no way of knowing this, but, an election to RAMP is not reversable ACCORDING TO VA.  

If you dont have a lawyer, then you can toss a coin, or try to study your claim and the procedural rights yourself and see if any of those apply.  I do have a lawyer, and, so far VA has not offered me RAMP, but, if they do, I will let the lawyer handle it.  

All in all, my lay opinion would be that you should go for RAMP, because, as an "unrepresented Veteran" you may be able to reverse this down the road after all, reiterating that while they SAID you can not reverse RAMP, Im not sure there are any laws that say you can not reverse RAMP, but will instead still retain your rights you have now.  

It reminds me of the race track's sign, "The race track will not be responsible for accidents".  While the sign is meaningless, if you are injured and dont file a lawsuit because YOU think the track is not responsible, then the sign accomplished its purpose.    I can  post a sign in my house, "Federal laws do not apply here, its okay to sell cocaine here"  Oh, I can post such a sign but it will have no effect, and may even arouse suspicion of the authorities.    

Edited by broncovet