VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Buddy Letters

Rate this question

BuddyLoveAK

Question

I am considering asking a friend from my time in service to write me a "buddy letter" about him observing my symptoms while in service in order to help establish a nexus. My question is, how much weight does the VA give buddy letters? Do they actually listen to them or are they dismissed since they aren't written by a doctor? Also, is there anything special he should say that would give it more credibility? 

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

usually buddy letter don't carry much clout but if they  just happen to read them they can carry some clout

Buddy letters needs to be very precise and well written within a paragraph or two ,  they don't like to read as it is so keep the letters short and to the point.

Buddy letters need to have the correct dates and name of the same unit  you served with & your C.O. Name NCO  Name and how they (buddys) known you how long they knew you ect,,ect,,,  like a team or you guys work together and slept in the same area in your hooch or barracks...the dates need to be close and all other information must match what your information says. 

if you were in a conflict they give a 10 day interval but what they want is to see if they can ty you together with your Buddy's and you were all in the same unit together around the same time...so be very precise on the dates  they can check other unit records and see if things check out as to what you say.

Get them Notorized  and then send them in as your evidence   these buddy letters can help you get service connected ,  now what they may rate you is anyone guess

Thanks. I'll have to see if he remembers our CO's name because I don't. We were only in the rehab platoon for a couple months while we recovered from our injuries, then we went our separate ways. I'm trying to get my bipolar disorder service connected, and I was showing signs of depression while in the rehab platoon, so I'm hoping a letter from him stating that will help with the service connection. As far as rating is concerned I think I have a pretty strong case for a high rating. I'm on SSDI for bipolar and my C&P exam was pretty favorable for a higher rating, just not the service connection. They discharged me with a personality disorder and are reluctant to admit they misdiagnosed me.

• HadIt.com Elder

yeah  be sure that you have a diagnoses from the VA for DSM-5 PTSD, they will not accept a private diagnoses for PTSD  And I am not so sure they have bipolar any more? 

they rate on your symptoms. ... the severity of them  like chronic or very severe. BETWEEN  0% &10% & 100%   IT'S ACTUALLY  10% 30%50% 70% THEN 100% DEPENDING ON WHAT YOUR C&P EXAMINER PUTS IN THE DBQ Boxs and the severity of your symptoms.&THE RATER CAN READ.

it sounds like you will get a high rating   100% is  the highest ...also be careful about your finances  if you can't handle your $$ they will appoint someone for you who can.

You're just starting what will probably be a relatively long wait on a BVA Decision. What exactly has your Attorney said regarding possible New & Material Evidence that would support your Denied issues?

Specifically, what observable "In Service" symptoms could any of your "Buddy Letter" authors testify to? Do you or your family members have any saved letters from you, discussing any of your "Denied Issues" sent while on active duty, Posts Marked envelopes would help?

My attorney just got my 4k page c-file a month ago, so I think it'll be a while before he works his way through it all. But at our initial conversation he said he was going to get an IMO and possibly a voc evaluation. The IMOs I submitted weren't written by the recommended guidelines so none of the key words and phrases were in it.

I was really depressed at the time and talked about suicide with him a few times, so I'm sure he can describe some of the depressive symptoms he saw. I don't have PTSD, just bipolar, depression, and anxiety diagnoses.