VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The VA's New Super Fast Claim Process

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

I filed a claim yesterday for a foot condition.

I sent in two pages of service treatment records showing I had surgery for the condition while in service.

Sent in a statement informing the VA about the continuance of the same condition.

Logged on Ebenefits and my new claim was gone.

I called Peggy to check on that.

I was told the new claim was closed.

"Closed, I asked?"

He said that was the fastest decision he had ever seen made on a claim.

Problem is...DENIED, DENIED, DENIED.

Waiting on the "legal colonoscopy letter" to arrive soon.

So how's that for the new claims process?

2 hours ago, Gastone said:

63, unwise not to use a VSO for info verification and their somewhat limited assistance. The fact that you may be able to have a copy of relevant C-File pages in a day or 2 as opposed to having to wait 8 to 12 months after filing a VA FOIA, could be of great assistance.

Master Chief,

With all due respect, I've been using the DAV for several years and it's been a terrible experience! At least my local DAV makes me feel like I'm being a pain in the behind if I call to seek information. Short sarcastic answers to my questions like you just need to be patient, call back in a year, etc. Not very loving that's for sure.....

I did all of the leg work for my PTSD appeal and provided the VA with all of the case history and nexus and was awarded 70%., A month later I filed for TDIU again, on my own with a nexus and within 30 days I was awarded TDIU 100% permanent & total. November 2017 I filed for SMC for sexual side effects related to the medicine I take for PTSD, depression and anxiety. Within two weeks I had a C&P exam that was terrible. Many lies, alternative facts (haha) and basically a less than likely rationale. I did not have a nexus for this claim but I did submit medical literature that supported my claim.

I contacted the patient advocate who advised me to write a letter to the Director of the regional office medical center. The director called me and and basically told me he would fix the wrong, and by mid December 2017 less than 45 days from start to finish I was awarded SMC K-1 service connected 0% but, an extra $105.00 a month. Respectfully you did make reference to limited assistance, for me, taking the bull by the horns has worked in my favor and the internet is a never ending reference and literature library.

Peace Brother

I had a VSO advise me when I first decided to file for benefits that my service medical records didn't matter, after he briefly gave them his once over.

I wrote a complaint and submitted it and got an apology from his superior.

He is still working the same job so I guess he has the right connections.

Having said that...the VSO have no skin in the game.

They are probably overwhelmed to boot.

I filed for an upgrade on two of my rated conditions one for neck and the other one for a shoulder I opened the request in 04 Oct 17 and both were approved  04 Jan 18. Both conditions were rated at 10% the increase went to 20% on one and 30% on the other . Which brought me up from 50% to 70%.  Seems like the fast  claims worked fine for me  no grips here.

Edited by gibbens

63Charlie,

I had my last claims come back service connected, however, in the reports I read, it states and was opined by at least two VA examiners that I had an additional issue that was seen and was caused while in service.  This new issue was not claimed by me and not rated.  I did ask my CSVO (who sends in my claims) why my rep (VFW) had not caught that and add it to the claim or bring it to the RO's attention.  She told me that he (VFW rep) dosen't have time to read the exams, etc.

Found my problem.

Anyway, new claim going in with their own evidence, with me putting my finger on it.  "Duty to assist", means "duty to resist" when it comes to the VA, and the VSO's are no help if they can't take the time read your exams and to fight for you.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

RV, just might be time to switch VSO's. If you're in the middle of an Appeal (RO, DRO or BVA) all New VSO's will try to get you to stick with your current VSO/VSR. They don't like to step on each others toes.

My 1st VSR was VVFW, VSR was old and burnt out. Of course he was the only Rep in the RO HQ office the day I stopped in to file a claim in early 2008. Didn't realize what a waste he was till after the 09 Denial of everything. Never heard from him after the 1st filing, nothing regarding NODing the Denial. Tried calling him numerous time, nothing. Filed my own DRO Hearing NOD at the 11th hr of the 12 month Filing Window.  Continued Filing my own New Claims while awaiting the DRO Hearing. Went from 10% Tinnitus from 08 1st Claim, to 90% (Inferred IU) in mid 12. Filed a DRO Hearing NOD on the 09/12 IU Denial.

VVFW was real-time copied by the VA regarding all my New Claims, Awards and Denials. Never once did I hear from the VVFW VSR.

While at the RO for a VR appointment in late 2013, I asked a Rep from the Marine Corps LG for a piece of paper to slide a note under the always locked door of the VVFW. After some discussion regarding my inability to make contact with the VVFW Rep and my pending (2) DRO Hearings, the MCL Head Honcho agreed to accept my POA. I still file my own Claims but the MCL Rep (Retired RO SR DRO) was and is. of great assistance since my 100% all  Issues Awarded 06/14 DRO Hearing.

You just have to shop around until you find a VSO/VSR that is a good fit and meets your expectations.

I have always used a VSO as someone to get information from rather than do my paperwork for me, everything I have sent to the VA has been my own words, my own IMO, and any other information needed. They have simply been the people that proof reads when needed and passes my information/evidence to the VA.