Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Could the VA take my IU rating?

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

Hi, everyone.

I've posted and contributed to this board in the past and its members have always been extremely helpful. Assuming not all of you know my backstory, I'll provide a brief summary:

I was discharged from the Marine Corps in 2008. Initially got rated 50% for mental health. Applied for IU a few years later; it was granted and has been continuous for 8 years now. I was able to graduate from a college program through Voc. Rehab., but SC conditions remain the same. No improvement over the years and the impact on my life has been toxic. I sometimes neglect myself, no showers or oral health care for days on end. Literally tip-toeing around because I'm afraid of making noise and disturbing others. Urinating in plastic bottles because I can't bring myself to leave my room, and so on. The chances of me being able to secure employment, let alone maintain it, are slim to none. I'm embarrassed about this fact, but it is what it is. All my attempts at companionship result in me running away to wallow in my own misery. I worry about myself, and my future. No kids, no wife, no purpose.

I have days where I can't even get out of bed. Hard to imagine an employer "understanding" my reason for missing work. I've thought about pursuing an independent business from home, so lets use that as an example. I set up an office at home and advertise my services. I may receive work, I may not. Something like this could address a handful of my issues, but wouldn't suffice as a main source of income. I'd even take on free work at times, sort of like volunteering. My fear is that the VA would consider this employment and take away my IU rating, even though it's more of just a vehicle to an improved lifestyle. I remember reading that if your 100% permanent total rated, you can work without a reduction in benefits. Maybe this is what I need to pursue?

Something like this mini business idea would give me purpose, something to get out of bed for. But what it wouldn't do is generate anywhere near the amount of income I need to live on. I worry about the distant future as well. Because I don't have any taxable income, I cannot contribute to an IRA. This scares me. Everyone who works has a 401k, I have nothing. I've been putting money aside in a savings account every month to combat this, but I'm not utilizing increased growth potential. By the way, if anyone has advice/tips on saving for retirement due to these restrictions, please share.

Any advice on my situation would be greatly appreciated, and thank you to those who have taken the time to listen. I really think my idea could have a positive impact of my dreadful life. I really do. Have a great day/night, everyone. God Bless! 

-Marine LCpl

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone yes I believe I seen that some where too , to use your IU anniversary date with in 60 days to send it in Each Year  your correct on that.

Did you stopped sending the 21-4140 in 16 & 17?

because of your 100% bump from S.C. severe sleep apnea award & they took your TDIU P&T and made it moot?....

Did the award letter say they made the IU Moot?

and Now your S.C. Sleep Apnea is your main disability? and your old IU is still S.C. ?

Do you happen to know what they have that rated as what %?

Reason I ask  I was  90% combined TDIU P&T w/ no future exams scheduled and my disability is of nature and not expected to improve in my lifetime. this was in 2002 

Okay, Now I have another S.C. FOR 70%PTSD  IN 2015 Awarded for 70%PTSD (As you know)

But they never mention anything about mooting the IU?, they only said I have met the SMC S CRITERIA and gave me the SMC S 1 H.B.After being rated for the 70%PTSD.

AND A FINAL DEGREE OF 100%.

I did look on  ebenefits and they have my disabilities as this

TDIU P&T 90% Hearing loss Incurred in Vietnam  with a 60% and then a 30% increase on the hearing loss   (yes I am damn near deaf)  but hearing aids help but My word understanding I sucks at 100%  so  the 60% & 30% is where they get the 90%( jmo)

Tinnitus 10% Incurred in Vietnam  (these two might have me up to the 100% but the Award letter says 90% on the IU.)  but thats IU Alone without adding the 10% for tinnitus.

Combat PTSD 70% Incurred in Vietnam

So when I was Awarded the 70% for the PTSD  That supposable change my rating status. to the 100% scheduler...right?

I called the 1-800 # and the idiot did not know how to tell me my correct rating  first he ask me what ebenefits said?  After talking to this guy  for a few minutes I let him go he didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

I think he was looking on my e benefits account and couldn't figured it all out?.....eh!

so I am reluctant to call that # anymore.

I will send in the 21-4140  Just to be safe.  I 110%Agree with you on that.

Matter of fact I printed off the 21-2140 today and going to mail it Monday to the claims intake center in Janesville Wi .

As I understand it now we send them everything and they send it to the correct  R.O. 

I guess that's why they call it the claims intake center.

I was told to never send my R.O. Anything  if you send something to the VA do it via Claims Intake Center  in Janesville Wi.

Thanks for all your information.

Buck, you're still IU. When the Rater Awarded your PTSD at 70%,  by VA Reg he had to determine what Rating would pay you the most Comp, IU or a CSC of 100%. IU was the answer, the New SC PTSD 70% qualified you for the SMC S (1).

When you mature a bit more (70), the Required filing of the 4140 will be one more thing you no longer have to be concerned about.

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that Gastone

I am sending in the 21-4140 Monday. 

I may ask them on a side note with my ratings & my age do I still need to send this 21-4140 form in?

what ya think?

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone or anyone that knows for sure

What is the Mailing Address to send in the 21-4140 Employment Questionnaire?

I think its the 

Dept of Veterans Affairs

evidence claims intake center

P.O. Box 4444

Janesville WI, 53547-4444

And not the veteran desanated Regional Office?

Anyone Know for sure?

Thanks.

NAFC, probably the New Evidence Intake Center but I wouldn't really worry. Mail it US Cert Mail Rtn Rect requested or if it's not a problem, drop it off at your RO Intake Desk. The clerk will Date Stamp and make you a copy.

There's no more Retro $$ coming, so as long as the VA eventually gets it and you have proof of Mailing, you're Gold.

One idea I had was seeking out more help from voc rehab to pursue this self-employment venture. I’ve read that people have been approved for 25k in funding to buy materials and other things to get the business up and running. 

Im not so sure about approval, though. I’ve already completed a degree using voc rehab, but it didn’t lead to gainful employment (which was my goal). So technically, my program was not completed. If I can convince them that self-employment is my best bet, which i really think it to be, they just might consider it. How should I approach this? Put together a business plan? 

Edited by MarineLCpl